closing an issue bug

When a person is the Assignee, that person becomes listed as the Closed By person when the ticket is closed, even if someone else actually closes it. How to fix this so a person's name shows up as closed by and not the assignee's name.

 

2 answers

0 vote

How have you implemented the "closed by" person functionality you are describing?

Not sure how it was done as someone had implemented it. Where should I find that setting?

I can't tell you.  I don't know what you've done to do it.

At a total guess, it might be a custom field. Go to admin -> custom fields and have a look for it there.  What type of field is it?  This should get us started.

Thanks Nic for your help. I did check under custom fields and the field "Closed By" is showing up there. The type is User picker (single user).

Ok, so now you need to work out what is setting the field.

Again, a bit of a guess, but I would suspect the workflow - have a look at the "close" transition and check out the post-functions on it.  My guess is that you'll find one that says "set custom field "closed by" to xxxxx"

Ah, I see.....On "close" transition, i see the post-function as

"Copy Value From Other Field (JSU)

   * Copy Field: Assignee to Closed By , overwrite"

How do I fix this? Should I just get rid of post function or edit?

From your description, I suspect you want to replace the post-function - I am not sure if you have a post-function available for this, but it sounds like what you want is "set assignee to %%current user%%".  That will record the person who clicks "close"

Yes, what I want is "set assignee to %%current user%%. where should i make that change?

There is a post-function for "update custom field" which is in one of the standard add-ons I usually use.  I can't remember which one (hopefully JSU!).  You enter the text %%current_user%% in the "what to set it to field".  (Might also need to be upper case)

Ok. I found it and added a post function and it is working now. But it looks like I broke something :( When I try to move the issue into one of the workflow steps I am getting an error.PNGerror.

That looks like a script or add-on is trying to validate something that no longer exists.

Do you think I have removed two post-functions (see below) that are causing a problem? If so, how do I fix this?

 1. The content of the field Closed By will be purged. (not sure how to add it again, any help will be appreciated).

2. Copy Value from Other Field (JSU)

*  Copy Field: Assignee to Closed By, overwrite

No, removing post-functions will not add a function that looks for a custom field that does not exist!

Have a look at all the other post-functions and validators you have on that transition.

Finally, was able to figure out.......Thanks a bunch for your help. It was very helpful. Really appreciate it.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

785 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you