closing an issue bug

Bhumi K January 10, 2018

When a person is the Assignee, that person becomes listed as the Closed By person when the ticket is closed, even if someone else actually closes it. How to fix this so a person's name shows up as closed by and not the assignee's name.

2 answers

0 votes
Bhumi K January 10, 2018

Ah, I see.....On "close" transition, i see the post-function as

"Copy Value From Other Field (JSU)

* Copy Field: Assignee to Closed By , overwrite"

How do I fix this? Should I just get rid of post function or edit?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

From your description, I suspect you want to replace the post-function - I am not sure if you have a post-function available for this, but it sounds like what you want is "set assignee to %%current user%%".  That will record the person who clicks "close"

Bhumi K January 10, 2018

Yes, what I want is "set assignee to %%current user%%. where should i make that change?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

There is a post-function for "update custom field" which is in one of the standard add-ons I usually use.  I can't remember which one (hopefully JSU!).  You enter the text %%current_user%% in the "what to set it to field".  (Might also need to be upper case)

Bhumi K January 10, 2018

Ok. I found it and added a post function and it is working now. But it looks like I broke something :( When I try to move the issue into one of the workflow steps I am getting an error.PNGerror.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

That looks like a script or add-on is trying to validate something that no longer exists.

Bhumi K January 10, 2018

Do you think I have removed two post-functions (see below) that are causing a problem? If so, how do I fix this?

1. The content of the field Closed By will be purged. (not sure how to add it again, any help will be appreciated).

2. Copy Value from Other Field (JSU)

*  Copy Field: Assignee to Closed By, overwrite

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

No, removing post-functions will not add a function that looks for a custom field that does not exist!

Have a look at all the other post-functions and validators you have on that transition.

Bhumi K January 11, 2018

Finally, was able to figure out.......Thanks a bunch for your help. It was very helpful. Really appreciate it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

How have you implemented the "closed by" person functionality you are describing?

Bhumi K January 10, 2018

Not sure how it was done as someone had implemented it. Where should I find that setting?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

I can't tell you.  I don't know what you've done to do it.

At a total guess, it might be a custom field. Go to admin -> custom fields and have a look for it there.  What type of field is it?  This should get us started.

Bhumi K January 10, 2018

Thanks Nic for your help. I did check under custom fields and the field "Closed By" is showing up there. The type is User picker (single user).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2018

Ok, so now you need to work out what is setting the field.

Again, a bit of a guess, but I would suspect the workflow - have a look at the "close" transition and check out the post-functions on it.  My guess is that you'll find one that says "set custom field "closed by" to xxxxx"

Suggest an answer