changing issue status automatically for linked issues

rTrack Support January 5, 2017

Hi ,

My requirement is to create a new issue and automatically change the status of the linked issue .

Two projects are there . project a ,project b .

in project a i am creating an issue .

status transitions . pending --> allocated --> fix provided -->fix sent --> move to production -->deployed in primary customer 

when  i changed from fix sent to move to production state then the new issue will be created in the project b .

once the issue created in the project b, then  i tried to change the status of issue which is created automatically in that transition .

for the project b i am using some different workflow .

pending --> in progress --> deployed in primary customer -->Closed 

in this when i changing the status from in progress to deployed in primary customer in the project b , then in the project a issues which is linked with the tat issue in the status of move to production will gets changed automatically to deployed in primary customer status  in the project a issue .

if possible please guide me for this .

i have used the link type in the project a where the issue is creating automatically as below .

but it is not working for me .

project a auto creation of issue.pngproject b auto issue status changing.png

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2017

Post-function "Write field on linked issues or subtasks" should be inserted in workflow of project B, in transition from In Progress to Deployed In Primary Customer.

Virtual field Target status is available since version 2.2.26. If you are using an earlier version I recommend you to update to the most recent version of the plugin. Anyway, you can also use the following configuration instead:

• Source value type: Parsed text (basic mode)
  • Source value: Deployed In Primary Customer

Hi Fidel ,

Thanks for the reply .

Its working fine now .

I have some doubt  with this .

When i try to  create a post function  write field on linked issues or subtasks ,

there is a field in the name of :Filtering linked issues or subtasks by status:

This field is representing the status of the linked issue which is in the current status or the status which needs to be changed in the current transition .

And shall i choose the source value type as field in the current issue (issue status)

and 

Target field to be written in linked issues or subtasks

as issue status .

if i am choosing only the issue status then the status of the issue only will affect  ??.

if i choose the execute the transition that will also change the status and additional post functions mentioned in that transitions ??? 

i have updated the version to 2.28 of workflow toolbox .

If you are not getting my point please let me know .

Like # people like this
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2017

Hi,

All the filtering parameters (including "Filtering linked issues or subtasks by status") refer to issues whose target field is going to be set (i.e., linked issues and/or sub-task).

In order to transition other issues, you should write into any of the following 4 virtual fields:

• Issue status: write the name of the status you want to transition the issue to.
  • Issues status (delayed writing): same as previous one, but transition to target status is carried out after current transition (the one where you inserted the post-function) has ended, and this way, current issue will be in the new status. This virtual field is used when we have a condition or validation in the issue we want to transition, that is blocking the transition we want to execute because of the status of current issue, but that will be unblocked once current issue is in the new status. Example: we want to close Epic when last Story is closed. When the last Story is trying to move the Epic to Closed status, the Story is not yet closed, but will be once current transition has ended. 
  • Execute transition: the name of a transition.
  • Execute transition (delayed execution): same as previous one, but transition to target status is carried out after current transition (the one where you inserted the post-function) has ended, and this way, current issue is in the new status. 

So when using "Write field on linked issues or subtasks" to transition other issues, we have to select as Target field any of those 4 virtual fields, and select as source value a status name or a transition name depending on the specific target field we have selected.

In parameter "Filtering linked issues or subtasks by status" you should select the current status of the issues you want to transition, i.e., the status before being transitioned by the post-function.

Please, let me know if you have any other doubt.

Yah i understood it now .My doubts are cleared .

I am Having  a  new requirement as follows .

we are tracking the customer support issues with the help of JIRA .

For that we are creating two projects for a single customer with the name like 

customer name - customer (project 1) 

customer name - internal (project 2)

at present we are using the same workflows for both projects and also for all customers .

when the customer creates the tickets in the customer project at the same the issue needs to be created in the internal project also .

when internal people changing the status in the internal projects will it reflect with the related customer projects ...

i can create two workflows that is for internal as seperate and customer for seperate .

when customer a creates the issue in project aa that automatically creates into project ab

when customer b creates the issue in project ba that will automatically creates into project bb .

is it possible  only with two workflows for all customer projects ???

if you cant able to understand please let us know .

Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2017

Yes, it can also be done using a single workflow, but I think you may prefer using 2 different workflows in order to be able to tweak each project workflow separately. Tell me your preference.

I think this issue has enough entity to be treated in a separated question. Do you mind creating a new question? Please, add the following labels so that I will be notified when it's created:

Thanks.

Thanks .

i have raised a new request for this requirement .

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/45961085

My preference is to keep one workflow seperately for all customer projects and another one for internal projects .

1 vote
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2017

Hi,

I assume that you are not having problems creating Incident issue using "Create issues and subtasks" post-function.

I think that the problem is that you are using as source value in "Write field on linked issues or subtasks" post-function the current status of the Incident, which still is In Progress at the moment of the execution of the post-function.

Please, try the following modifications in post-function "Write field on linked issues or subtasks" in transition from In Progress to Deployed In Primary Customer statuses in Incident's workflow:

• Select virtual field "Target status" as source value.

Thanks for the immediate response Fidel .

I have some doubts and confusions in that .

this post function need to be created in the project a workflow of project b workflow .

and also there is not target status field in this .

Can you please give a picture of this .

proejct b workflow.png

proejct a workflow.png

Suggest an answer