changing JIRA comments sort order is not sticky

JIRA (7.2 and on-prem) comments are sorted ascending and I click the arrow and they are sorted descending, next time I visit JIRA the comments are again sorted ascending. Why is this setting not sticky? 

We also use JIRA cloud (for some other project) and in that instance this setting is sticky. 

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Nariman,

I tested this in JIRA 7.6.0 and it behaves like the Cloud version.  There is a workaround you can use in the knowledge base article titled Changing the default order for comments from ascending to descending:

1. Access JIRA's 'Advanced Settings' page. (See Configuring advanced settings for more information.)
  2. Edit the value of the jira.issue.actions.order property by clicking the existing value and changing it from asc to desc
  3. Click the 'Update' button to save the new value in the JIRA database.

Hopefully that helps until you're able to upgrade to a current version.

Cheers,

Branden

thank Branden, I do not want to change the default sort order. I just want to change it for me and have it stick so I do not have to change it every time. 

Hi Nariman,

I see.  I'll do some further research, however, if it's not a feature in 7.2 but it behaves as you're describing in the latest version the remedy may be to upgrade to the latest version (7.6) as it does what you're expecting.

Cheers,

Branden

thanks. I will ask our IT team to look into upgrading it but that usually takes a while. 

Hi Nariman,

I definitely understand.  I was unable to determine any other workarounds to get that to stick other than to upgrade.  Hopefully your IT team can get some downtime to do that soon so you'll have this feature in your instance.

Cheers,

Branden

Hi Branden.

We're running Jira 7.9.2 and face the same issue.
Our jira.issue.actions.order=asc and shall not change.
Is there any open issue i can refer to ?

So has anyone figured it out if this option is sticky only on Cloud, and not on premise?

Or will it work on any version after 9.6?

We run JIRA v7.9.2 and I am not an administrator. It's my personal preference to sort comments in descending order along with previous posts here. Does anyone have a hint on when this will be an option for non-admin users to default this in their preferences?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

26,600 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you