change resolution after closed

Marzi Goodarzian December 2, 2018

Hi

Is there  a way to edit resolution field after closed issue, without add transition in finished status.

??

thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2018

In a properly configured Jira, there is no way to do this.

The reason for that is that a properly configured Jira

1. Always asks for resolution as the user closes the issue, or sets it for them.
  2. Never has the resolution on a screen other than the one on the "close" transition above.  As it's never on the "edit" screen, you can't edit the resolution, individually or by "bulk edit"

However, it is possible for inexperienced admins to get point 1 wrong, leaving you with closed issues that are not closed because the resolution is empty.

So the complete fix:

• Edit the workflow(s) that have got you into this situation, making sure you ask for, or set, a resolution when going into a status you want to regard as "closed"
  • Create a permission scheme that does not allow the users to edit issues, only administrators.
  • When the users are not working too much, apply that scheme to the projects where it is broken
  • Go into the edit screens for the projects and add the resolution field to the screen
  • Search for the issues that are wrong
  • Use bulk edit to set the resolutions
  • Remove the field from the edit screens
  • Put the old permission schemes back
9 votes
Evan Favermann Eisert December 11, 2019

Based on the number of people who have asked this question, Atlassian/JIRA should really consider adding a "edit closed" screen that does allow you to change the resolution. 

In the meantime, here's the workaround I've used for individual issues marked with the wrong (or a missing) resolution. For what it's worth, most of the missing resolutions are due to closing an issue in the mobile app - the app doesn't seem to enforce the required resolution field.

1. Click 'Edit' on your issue

2. Click 'Configure Fields' on the top right of the resulting pop up screen

3. Click on 'Where is my field' if you don't see Resolution in the field list

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 6.05.28 PM.png

4. Type in 'Resolution' 

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 6.09.42 PM.png

5. Now scroll down to the 'Field Screen' section. There will be a message explaining that the Resolution field is not included in the screen configured for this issue. There will be a link to the Screen Configuration settings page. Click on that link. 

6. Add the Resolution to the Screen Configuration page. Keep this page open (you will remove the new field from this configuration shortly).

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 6.04.28 PM.png

7. Navigate back to your issue and click 'Edit'. Now you should see the Resolution field as an option. If it's still missing, you may need to select the Resolution Field in the 'Where is my field' dialog to see it (you also may want to try refreshing the browser). Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 6.08.56 PM.png

8. Once you can see the field, update your resolution to the desired status. Click 'Update' to save. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 6.10.05 PM.png

9. Finally, return to the Screen Configuration page and hover over the Resolution field. Click 'remove' when it appears on the right. 

This process essentially adds Resolution to the 'edit' screen temporarily. If you leave it on permanently, and it's a required field, you won't be able to move from Unresolved to another workflow phase. 

Again, I think Atlassian/JIRA should come up with an easier way to edit the resolution on closed tickets, but this will help in a bind. 

Phyllis Davies February 20, 2020

Thanks for the tip - huge help!

I've been careful to set up Resolution correctly in my workflows. A few months later had to remove a status from them, due to business process change. When I published the revised workflows everything that used to be in the (now removed) status got set to Done. That resulted in a heap of issues in "Done" without any resolution. This tip helped me fix them quickly - saved me having to edit all those workflows again!

Ricardo Rodrigues August 21, 2020

This helped me a ton - thank you!

Mikhail T October 12, 2021

There is no "Where is my field" in my Jira-instance (v8.5.4) -- and the "Resolution" is not listed under "All" either...

Jira-ticket-edit.PNG

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2021

Hello @Mikhail T 

Have you checked your screen scheme, you need to have a resolution filed there.

BR, Olga

1 vote
Ioannis D October 21, 2021

Hello @Marzi Goodarzian and all,

I had the same issue and apparently the below solution worked for me:

1. Bulk-edit the issues and apply an extra label, in order to remember which issues will be amended/touched.

e.g. with label "jira_resolution_manually_set"

2. Edit the related workflow to include one more transition, eg. "Fix Resolution"
    • From status Closed to status Closed
    • Add a post-function to update the resolution to the desired one.
      eg. "Resolved"
  3. Publish the workflow
  4. Test the new transition on a ticket or two
  5. Bulk edit the issues and apply this new transition
  6. Voila :-)
  7. Remove the new transition from the workflow

There are 2 drawbacks:

1. The Updated date for all issues will be "touched" to the current date.
  2. You might need to amend a couple of workflows, if multiple projects and/or issue-types are affected.

You might find this solution a little bit simpler than the one suggested by @Nic Brough (Adaptavist). Or not :-)

Cheers,
-i.

image.png

image.png

0 votes
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2018

Hello Marzii125, 

Yes, I believe you can, search for desired issue or issues, click tools on your right -> bulk edit -> edit issue or transition not sure which at the moment don't forget to uncheck the box  "Send mail for this update" o you can leave it checked whatever you desire.

Marzi Goodarzian December 2, 2018

Hi @Olga Videc

I do bulk edit, but edit of Resolution is inactive:(

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2018

Hello, 

What's your current resolution status? 

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2018

Hello Marzii125,

If your issues are unresolved,  copy or edit your current workflow add a new status in workflow after Done add a post function to it witch sets the issue resolution to resolved, use bulk edit to correct the mistake, after correcting the mistake edit the workflow back to its original state or if you copied it and edited the copy switch back to original one.

Also to avoid future mistake check your current workflow, you need to add a post function before Done, post-function which will change the resolution of the issue to resolve.

If you want to reopen all your issues, you have to add a transition from Done to Open and call it Reopen and add a post function which changes the resolution from resolved to unresolved and then you can bulk edit.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events