change in comments "6 days ago" to date (and how to set date format)

Eran Polna February 13, 2018

Hi

I was asked to have in issue comments a date instead of 

"6 days ago" 

and also how to set date format

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2018

Right now your Jira instance uses relative dates. If you are on Jira Server/Data Center then you can follow the following KB to switch your Jira to absolute dates:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/disable-relative-dates-in-jira-applications-414187622.html

But you will have absolute date in all Jira. Not only in comments.

Deleted user November 7, 2018

[post deleted]

Nico Ehrenhofer March 24, 2021

Am I right that there is no solution for Jira cloud? And not sure if it is the right to add my question here or if I should have raised a new question?

Like # people like this
5 votes
Vasil Beshev June 8, 2022

Not sure if / when this was updated, but as of 8 June 2022, you can click on the relative date in the screens, and it will switch to standard date format.

Floris.vanderZwaard October 17, 2022

Is this for Cloud? Or for Server/Data Center as well? If so, which version?

I think we are on the latest Server version, but clicking on the relative data doesn't do it..

Steve July 30, 2023

Thank you, indeed this works now.   Shame it's not the default.

3 votes
Brigitte Van Gerven May 4, 2022

I really wonder why anyone would ever use relative dates, and why software developers ever decided to program it like that. Because they were tired of putting a boring old date on the screen ? Or because they want to give the impression that there is some fake AI behind it ?

I find myself continually having to calculate what the real date is. Please get this solved!

1 vote
Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2018

Hi @Eran Polna

Check this doc from Atlassian about disabling relative dates:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/disable-relative-dates-in-jira-applications-414187622.html

If you want to change dates format you can go to: Administration - System - General configuration - Advanced settings.

Hope this helps

Sandra Rita H July 9, 2020

Just to be clear, only an admin can do this for the whole jira workspace? 

Can it be done for a project only?

Muhammad Akram Sharifi June 22, 2021

Hi @Sandra Rita H  

Yes Only Jira Admin can change this but unfortunately this option is not available on jira Cloud. 

Akros Informatik November 9, 2021

What a shame!

Floris.vanderZwaard October 17, 2022

In Jira Server going to  Administration - System - General configuration - Advanced settings will give you the following options. See screenshot. No option to change the relative date format.

Still only way is to change the 'hardcoded' start up config file(links above) of the server(Server/Data Center)

2022-10-17 10_07_08-Advanced Settings - Jira.png

Suggest an answer