cascading select fields

I have a custom field with a cascading list that has two levels; Parent lists and then a coresponding child list. How to Edit the name of the parent list in JIRA 3.x.

9 answers

It has been a while since I have been on JIRA 3, does it not you give you the option to edit the parent list when you go to configure?

It only gives me an option to add more options to the child list. Someone before me has created this field and the users are now asking for some of parent lists to be changed.

Interesting I thought there was a configure or an edit button on there. Any possible way you could provide a screenshot?

The above is View custom field configuration. From that screen, I will click on Edit option and it will take me righ to the first screen I send to you.

Is there any other way that you know?

The current way it is and I am sure it has changed since JIRA 3. Clicking Edit Options takes me to a list of my parent fields and then I can edit that parent field or drill down to the children. Here is what it looks like for me.

Ah ok sorry for the misunderstanding.

Agreed. I just dont think the functionality is there in this version.

You are right. I have a test upgraded version 5.2 and I can edit the Parent list with no proble. I just wish there was a way to Edit on 3.x because that is curently our production version.

Thats interesting. Have you selected View Custom Field Configurations? Does that give you any other options? You would think there would be an edit button on both since that would allow you to edit the field.

Did you select Edit Options? That should allow you to change both levels of the field.

After I hit Edit from the first screen, it will only give me option to Add more child lists or delete child lists (second screen)

0 vote

I can confirm this - the abiltity to edit (and disable) custom field options was added around version 4.3 (my memory isn't great - I know it was NOT in 4.2, and it was definitely in 5.0, I'm just hazy about 4.3 or 4.4)

Version 3 of Jira simply does not have any edit facility. The only way to do it is with massive risky SQL hacking.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,296 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot