cannot login with Firefox and privacy.firstparty.isolate=true

As stated in the object I cannot login with

Firefox and privacy.firstparty.isolate=true in about:config (default is false)

Atlassian complains that Firefox doesnt' accept third parties cookie but that is not true

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Ivano,

I was able to replicate the same behavior by editing that key.  I believe the issue is not with Firefox as you can see it works if privacy.firstparty.isolate=false.

This setting is most likely the culprit as it does affect third party cookies as you can see from the following description about the purpose of First Party Isolation:

First Party Isolation, also known as Cross-Origin Identifier Unlinkability is a concept from the Tor Browser. The idea is to key every source of browser identification with the domain in the URL bar (the first party). This makes all access to identifiers distinct between usage in the website itself and through third-party. Think of it as blocking Third-party cookies, but more exhaustively. Here are Firefox's implementation details about First Party Isolation.

This is also explained in another article titled How to enable First-Party Isolation in Firefox:

The feature restricts cookies, cache and other data access to the domain level so that only the domain that dropped the cookie or file on the user system can access it.

This is a stark contrast to how cookies work normally, as marketing companies tend to drop cookies with their ads on sites, so that they may track users across all properties that the ads or scripts run on.

With First-Party Isolation enabled, tracking ends at the domain level which means that advertisers cannot use cookies anymore to create user profiles by dropping and reading cookies across the Internet.

The following items are affected by First-Party Isolation: cookies, cache, HTTP Authentication, DOM Storage, Flash cookies, SSL and TLS session resumption, Shared Workers, blob URIs, SPDY and HTTP/2, automated cross-origin redirects, window.name, auto-form fill, HSTS and HPKP supercookies, broadcast channels, OCSP, favicons, mediasource URIs and Mediastream, speculative and prefetched connections. 

To get around this please disable First Party isolation.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,089 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot