can you exclude epic issues from the backlog?

Chyle J. Edic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2019

I have an epic I inherited but it turns out this was only a wish list with no immediate justification. I would like to exclude those issues from the backlog but still be able to refer to the issues. 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2019

Hello Chyle,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When you say "backlog", are you meaning the backlog section in the board view of your project like displayed in the screenshot below?

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 19.20.33.png

If that's correct, you can remove any issues from the backlog by simply excluding them from your board filter. These would be the steps:

1 - Logged as the board administrator, navigate to your board > Click in the three dots icon at the top right corner > Board settings

2 - In General, click to Edit Filter Query > Exclude your issue from your filter

P.S: In order to don't add too many details to your query, I recommend you to use a field to select all the issues you want to exclude, like Labels. For example, you can add the Epic you want to exclude with the label "Removed_backlog" and add this to the board query:

Labels != "Removed_backlog"

If that's not what you are looking for, can you please provide us with more details and some screenshots so we can see what is the feature you are referring to?

Also, let us know if you have any questions!

Suggest an answer