can you create project roles specific to a project?

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2014

can you create project roles for a specific project? for example, if i want to create a IT project I want it to have only IT related roles(helpdesk , SA or DBA) in this project only can that be done? I dont want those roles to show up in other projects. I could not find anywhere how to do this maybe they need to add a scheme for this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2014

No, the whole point of a role is that it goes across all projects.  It gets unnecessarily complex if you start trying to limit them to sets of projects.  

If you don't want to use a role in a project, don't put anyone in it.  Just educate your project owners as to which are useful (assuming you've got differing permission/notification/workflow schemes)

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2014

thank you that makes sense.

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2014

Roles are used in workflows or permission schemes. Instead of a role you can use a transition, whose condition should be a specific (project) group.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2020

I wholeheartedly disagree that the point of a role is to go across all projects.  The point of a role is to provide project admins the ability to delegate permissions to project functions without having to go to a system admin to make changes.

There may be roles that are only applicable to a single project.  I am facing this problem right now with an enterprise-class client.  I have asked for two new roles to be created and the admin team is pushing back as they would be included in EVERY project on that instance, for which there are many. 

The project admins MUST have the ability to add/remove team members on their own as people come and go on a rolling basis.  The ONLY way to do this is to use roles, and this is clearly an invasive option if there is no way to hide roles from projects that do not use them.

Shooting down very reasonable functionality needs by saying 'the whole point of' anything is extremely limiting, and goes against the fundamental flexibility that Atlassian has promised would come with Jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2020

But project-local roles are just as confusing and work even worse than global-project roles.  The global roles simplify things.

The problem there is that  a project-local scheme just shifts the complexity from "that role doesn't do anything in this project" to "I don't know what this role does in this prohect and I need you to explain it for every different project".  It does not make it easier to use, understand or explain, it just changes the complexity model.

Furthermore,

• It discourages standardisation and hence the ease of people moving between projects, which is something Atlassian is pushing for very strongly.  We may even see roles go away completely, but if you think "project local roles" are a good idea, you're really going to hate what we could end up with soon.
  • Permission checking is one of the most intensive parts of Jira activity.  Project local roles would be another layer of looking up and checking that would have to be done, which exponentially loads your system.  So it's a bad design in terms of performance.

Global project roles are not a brilliant way to do it.  But they're better than project local roles.

My suggestion would be something that simplifies the use of global roles for project admins.  It is not hard to write code for "what roles are active in the permissions and notification schemes", so you could then display only those.  The more difficult bit is when roles get used in the workflow, as I don't know how to dig through a workflow for them, but an interim might be to have an admin say "if this workflow is used, we've used role X for something, so add that to the list if it's not in the permission or workflow scheme"

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2020

I really do appreciate the time you took to write out a very detailed and thoughtful response - I really do - but I don't think you understand the predicament.

The roles that are necessary are very very much specific to this project. There are workflow specific functions that have to be performed for this project. These permissions are not relevant elsewhere.

Also, people are going to be rolling in and out of roles in this project, and a project admin needs to be able to add and remove people.

These roles will not be relevant to any other project.

The admin team, offshore, I might add is:

-reluctant to add roles that appear in other projects

-not available on demand to add/remove users to/from groups on demand

-unwilling to take actions on groups as above because once a group is created it's open for use by other projects

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2014

No, but you don't need to put anyone in them.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2014

The day to day problem with using groups is only JIRA admins can manage group membership, whereas the project lead can manage users assigned to roles in their project. If your staff membership and responsibility doesn't change much this may not be an issue with you. In larger organizations people are swapped in and out of projects or the staff and having to funnel everything through the JIRA admin is a pain.

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2014

But it works :)

Suggest an answer