can't assign to me

z c March 29, 2018

"Permission Scheme" set  like the follow picture.

but  "Assign to me" icon is not shown in issues.

1.png

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2018

Are you the reporter or in at least one of those three roles?  That permission gives you the right to assign the issue.  It gives you "assign to <someone>" rights.

But it does not mean you are on the list of possible assignees.  Take a look at the other assignee permission, which defines "who can be assigned an issue" - I suspect you do not meet the rules for that.  So you can assign issues, but not to yourself because you're not on the list.

z c March 29, 2018

The note says "Ability to assign issues to other people."  I feel that I should be able to assign myself.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2018

As @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- said, you need to be on the assignable list. It's how the product works. 

z c March 29, 2018

I am on "Assignable User"list, but not on "Assign Issues"list.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2018

Ok, so you can't assign at all.

Assign to me will only appear if you can assign issues AND you are on the list of assignable users.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2018

then you can be ASSIGNED by someone with Assign Issue permission.  Just because you are assignable, doesn't mean you can assign yourself.

z c March 29, 2018

I think it's a bug.

The following two functions should be independent:

• Ability to assign issues to other people.  【The other people is on "Assignable User"list. I‘m on "Assign Issues"list.】
  •  To claim the task(assign to me)【I'm on  "Assignable User"list】
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2018

No, it is a behavior you don't like. A bug is something that doesn't work the way it is DESIGNED to work. I can make a case for people NOT being able to assign work to themselves. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

Nope, definitely no bug.

Assignable user permission controls who can be assigned to an issue.

Assign to permission controls who can assign issues.

This gives you four possible options for any given user, and massive flexibility in choosing who can do what

z c March 31, 2018

In a scrum team, everyone can get their own issues, but not everyone has the right to assign issues to others. How to set jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2018

Check who the permission schemes grants "assign" and "assignable user" to.  Make sure your users match what you want - they sound like they need both.

z c April 1, 2018

There is no way to achieve the situation that you can assign to yourself but you can't assign to others.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2018

That is correct. There may be a plugin out there that allows it, but not out of the box.

Sandra.Abi-Khalil April 24, 2024

I can't understand that they haven't fixed this. The least they could have done is fix the phrasing since it's very poorly phrased now. Assign issues to other users implies that the permission to assign an issue to yourself is independent of this permission setting. And there is definitely reason to allow people to pull issues themselves, without granting them permission to push issues onto someone else. This is after all fundamental parts of the way of working in both scrum and kanban for example.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2024

I am not sure what you thinking a "fix" might be.  Permissions need to be granular and clear, and the "can assign" and "can be assigned" are very clear.

There are security and compliance issues you could easily run into if you were to implement "ignore the permissions and let me assign stuff to myself when I have no right to assign issues".

The point about scrum and kanban being open is very relevant here, but the simple answer there is "get the permissions right" - the team should all be assignable, and the team should be able to trust each other to assign to the right person, so they're all able to assign issues too.

Sandra.Abi-Khalil April 25, 2024

I never said anything about ignoring the permissions - I specifically said that the permissions are poorly phrased and poorly set up from a usability perspective, i. e. not granular and clear.

There are several fixes, for example they could change the phrasing of the Assign Issues to "Ability to assign issues to assignable users." since, like I pointed out, the current phrasing implies that the permission setting for other users is separate from the permission to assign oneself. But if they would prefer to actually change the tool to something more useful, they could either create a new permission setting for the right to assign oneself, or they could simply have it as a default that you can always assign yourself if you have the Assignable Users permission. 

The problem that we encounter now is that there are issues that our business owners can fix themselves and that they want to be free to assign themselves to, but I can only grant them that permission if I also grant them permission to assign the team members. And it's much more difficult to get people in a large, spread out group that one doesn't work with on a daily basis, to understand why they shouldn't assign issues to developers directly. Especially when they've worked at the company for 15+ years and "know how to get things done". So these problems have nothing to do with the ability to trust each other in the team, where we have no problem giving everyone the ability to assign others.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2024

But ignoring the permissions is what you are asking for.

"that they want to be free to assign themselves to, but I can only grant them that permission if I also grant them permission to assign the team members"

is exactly the point.  If you could assign yourself, then you're ignoring the permission to assign issues.

Sandra.Abi-Khalil April 25, 2024

No, I'm asking for Atlassian to either:

1) Implement another permission setup (one that would be more relevant to an agile way of working) or
2) Clarify the current permission setup, since - like I said - the phrasing "Ability to assign issues to other people." implies that the permission to assign issues to oneself is separate from this permission setting.

And I reiterate that the reason I'm asking for this is that the current permission to assign users is at the very least poorly phrased but I would argue that it's actually poorly thought through.

So, again, I don't want to ignore the permissions - I want Atlassian to correct their permission scheme setup, whether the choose to do so by way of option 1 or 2.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2024

There is no correction to make here.

The language is obviously unclear to you, but the vast majority of Atlassian admins I've worked with have had no problem understanding it.

Sandra.Abi-Khalil April 26, 2024

No, the language is incorrectly used and the vast majority of admins have probably never noticed because they haven't needed the use case that I'm looking for and therefore never thought about it.

But feel free to ask around among people in general (or Atlassian admins in particular if you imagine they have their own understanding of language) how many interpret "Ability to assign issues to other people." as including the ability to assign oneself. I just checked with one of my linguist friends and they interpreted the sentence as "other users" implying only other users, not oneself.

Suggest an answer