can i add custom issue operation as screenable issue operation ?

Shamith K S May 4, 2014

Hi,

I have a requirement where an operation should be added in which certain field has to be updated.

I am thinking of adding new custom operation and assosciate screen with it. Is it possible ?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2014

You could, with a web-item plugin.

Or you could simply add a transition to your workflow, one that goes through a screen with your new field on it (and has a validator on it to say "that field must be filled in"). No code needed.

Shamith K S May 4, 2014

Thanks Nic.

I thought about that workflow option, but users dont need workflow to be disturbed. also the status should not be changed and also they need separate email template to be fired for that operation.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2014

With the workflow trick

1. You can have a transition go back to the same status. No change of status needed

2. You can use a different event for a transition, which can fire a different email template

If you don't do it in workflow, then you'll need to code a plugin to provide a new web-action, draw up a (probably fixed) screen for it and handling fields. Thinking about security on who can do it and when, examining if it's relevant in each and every status. You'll need to code for generating and sending emails outside the notification system.

If you do it in the workflow, all of that can be handled internally and automatically (with the one caveat that if you need customised emails to go out, you might have to make a couple of minor tweaks to add a new template)

Shamith K S May 4, 2014

oh yes.i can fire email in Post workflow event.

there is another problem though. i need this operation throughout the life cycle of issue operation. from creation to closing stage. between creation and closing there are many workflow states.
in addtion there are tow issuetypes which involves this operation.

my plan was to create new custom screenable issue operation and then use edit code to do the operation and just change the screen associated with it.

which one would be better ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2014

Ok, then it might be worth doing as a plugin. You'll need to judge the effort, as I don't know your workflows, but you'll need to think about all the things (creating an interaction screen, code to read/write the data, permissions and security, generating your email outside notifications, or maybe firing events and so on). "Just change the screen associated with it" isn't going to work, you need to code to pick up screens.

No way of knowing which is "better" without an idea of whether your workflows are complex or you're happy to do a few weeks learnigng and coding.

0 votes
Shamith K S May 5, 2014

Thanks Nic. Yes our workflows are complex and changes are expected to these workflows.
Yes you are right, i need to take care of permissions, firing seperate events and security. Thanks for your advise.

0 votes
Shamith K S May 4, 2014

Thanks Nic.

I thought about that workflow option, but users dont need workflow to be disturbed. also the status should not be changed and also they need separate email template to be fired for that operation.

0 votes
Shamith K S May 4, 2014

Thanks Nic.

Suggest an answer