can a corporate jira be used to track personal tasks (like GTD)

John Little October 21, 2019

In addition to projects tasks which are visible to all the teams, does jira have a way to track ones private tasks (which are work related, but not specific to a project task)?  Currently, I track my daily and weekly task list on paper, but it would be handy if there was a way to do this privately in jira, ideally with the option to share the tasks with my boss.

I cant see a way to create private tasks.

Also I frequently have to work in multiple jira accounts at the same time. I can open one in chrome, and one i safari, but if I need top work on a 3rd or 4th at the same time I get stuck (constantly logging out and logging in is a pain).

Has anyone found a handy way to deal with this?

2 answers

1 vote
Leirbag Assuab October 21, 2019

Hi,

An easy way to get private tasks is use of "Security Levels". You can create a new project "Private tasks", create a new "Security Scheme" with only one level (and default) and then assign it to the new project. This unique level in security scheme must include "Current assignee" and "Reporter", probably the owner of the private task in both fields. This way you get the goal to make tasks just visible to its owner.

If you want to grant visibility to your boss, then you have some options also using same security level. So, you can create a user group, add your boss in, and then include the group in the security level. Or simply set your boss as project Lead and then include the project lead in security level. You can also include users directly in the security level, but I don't like this option. It's like "hard code" values in programming.

Off the record: My colleagues love Jira when working with project's tasks and team collaboration, but they prefer tools like "Trello" to track their private tasks, or even to organize by themselves their work related tasks assigned to them in Jira.

Hope this can help you.

Regards!

0 votes
Leirbag Assuab October 21, 2019

In relation to work with multiple Jira accounts at the same time...

I solved this with Chrome by using several profile folders and then creating shortcuts to open Chrome with each profile.

To create a new profile in Chrome, click the Profile button on the top-right corner => Manage people => Add person. (see https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en for full details)

After adding profile, check the new directory name in "%appdata%\Roaming\Google\Chrome\User Data"

To create a shortcut using the new profile:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --profile-directory="<Profile_folder_here>"

(<profile_folder>: just folder name, without path to folder)

So, when you open the shortcut a new Chrome windows opens with his own sessions, history, downloads, password remembering, ...

You can define as many profiles as you need.

This is how I deal when I need to test new Jira configurations with multiple user accounts. I think you can do something similar using FF (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles), but I've never test it.

Hope it helps.

Regards!

Suggest an answer