can I set a different default value for different issue types?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2017

I have been successful in populating the custom field when the transition is executed. But this happens for all issue types. Is there way to only populate the field when the transition executes for certain issue types (multiple ones but not all of them)?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2017

Are you populating the custom field with a post function?

If so, then within the same workflow, No, it can't be done.

But what you could do would be to create a new workflow specifically for this new issue type.  Each issue type in a project can technically have its own workflow.  You can could even copy the existing workflow to use as a starter.  From there you could change it so that this copied workflow does not have this specific postfunction, but has all the other transitions, status, etc.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2017

Yes, I am populating the custom field with a post function.

So, if I understand you correctly, I would need to create a new workflow for each issuetype that I want to fire the transaction and populate the custom field. Correct? 

And if I have, say, 6 of these different issuetypes, then I would need to create 6 workflows, one for each, and put them all in the same workflow scheme. Correct?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2017

Yes, that is one way this could be done.   If you want the custom field value to be different for each issue type, the clearest way in my mind to do this would be to have a different workflow for each issue type.

And yes again, these would be different workflows, but they can all exist in the same Workflow Scheme for that project.

You can simply copy an existing workflow, rename it for each issue type.  Once you have made the changes to that workflow post function, you then just have to assign that workflow to that specific issue type in that project.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2017

Thanks, Andy - I think I will give that a try in our sandbox and see what it looks like.  :-)

Suggest an answer