best practice for custom fields?

We use a lot of custom fields for our projects and usually those fields are specific to certain projects, but not always. Is there a best practice around custom fields/configs and also later removing the fields from screens? I could just remove the field from the screen, but then if I later audit the custom fields I can't tell which ones were actually in use before. Should I just hide them in the config? Each solution I come up with has additional questions. So, is there a best practice?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer
As Jira is currently implemented you should avoid too many field configurations and create more screen schemes instead. Please read this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29310. I hope this will be fixed soon. Please consider to vote there also.

Thanks Dieter. We'll use that as a starting point :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,737 views 17 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you