backlog page groupings

Rick.Piovesan March 24, 2021

on backlog page there is groupings titled "backlog" and "to do".

"to do" is also on board. but also on board are other things like "in progress", "blocked" etc.

HOW DO I / CAN I have all these other groupings also show up on the backlog page? Why? because I find the board to be large, bloaty, space-wasting. I grew up in the MS Project ear and like tables and grids of data, not big blokcy pictures.

So - would really appreciate if all my other 'things' could please show up on the backlog page.

2 answers

2 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 1, 2021

Hello @Rick.Piovesan 

Optionally, you can try the Dynamic Filters: JQL Replacer & Gadgets add-on ( developed by my team). It allows you to make requests by the visual composer without JQL knowledge.

1. Just choose options you need in Smart Field Manager as depicted below:

2021-04-01_11-04-27.png

2. Set the required data

2021-04-01_11-04-52.png

3. Add the created Smart Field to the Dynamic Filter and save it.

2021-04-01_11-08-36.png

Hope you find it helpful.
Regards Mariana

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2021

Hello @Rick.Piovesan ,

From your description it sounds like you are using a Kanban board on a classic project, Is this correct?  And details in using the kanban backlog can be seen at the following link as a reference point, but there is currently not a method to combine the two views in a kanban board, as the intent of the backlog is to separate what is in the planning phase vs what is in a working phase:

And some additional content covered in the article "Kanban vs. scrum: which agile are you?" , noting the specific use cases for the separation in a kanban board:

Kanban is all about visualizing your work, limiting work in progress, and maximizing efficiency(or flow). Kanban teams focus on reducing the time it takes to take a project(or user story) from start to finish. They do this by using a kanban board and continuously improving their flow of work. 

Specifically the mention on "Limiting work in progress, and maximizing efficacy"  the backlog is separated from the board and vice versa as the backlog is a location intended for defining what is ready to be worked on via planning sessions or Project managers, and the board itself reduces the scop to only showing the team only what is currently in the pipeline as a valid work item ready to be worked on.

Alternatively, as mentioned in the same article you may want to look at a Scrum board instead of a kanban board as the Backlog of a scrum board will show the active and future sprints at the top of the planning page in the backlog with the backlog issues below the sprints, and work can be done from the backlog view or the active sprint board.

I would also recommend checking out "Groom your backlog like a boss with Jira Software" for additional tips on recommended approaches to managing the backlog.

Regards,
Earl

Rick.Piovesan March 29, 2021

yes using a k board on a classic proj. this is how it was set up, I have no authority to make changes.

Article you ref'ed is exactly what I'm saying - to wit:  "Managing your backlog in the first column of your Kanban board is easy to do—as long as there are only a few issues in your backlog. As your backlog grows, viewing and scrolling through these issues can become difficult." (itals and unders mine)).

Completely right. Totally bang on. Exactly.

But what it doesn't bother to mention is .. this happens in ALL the other board columns too. So paraphrasing the comment to ("As your column grows, viewing and scrolling through these issues can become difficult") is why I ask why can't all columns also have "an optimized list view" just like "backlog" and "To do".

I guess its "give us the tools and allow us to customize as we need" rather than " here's the way we want you to work, so you better get used to it."

i would really like to ask for much more customization of the board 'cards' but that's an issue for a further time.

Rick.

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2021

Hi @Rick.Piovesan ,

I believe Quick Filters, are going to help out a lot here.  You will need to talk to the board admin or a project admin to apply the filters but I would highly recommend setting these up to help streamline your boards.

The quick filters are designed as an ad-hoc method to filter out the noise for larger boards so that you are only displaying relevant cards to the task at hand.  As an example a really good one is to add a filter for "assignee = currentUser()" to show only the issues that the currently logged-in user is assigned to, or "assignee is EMPTY" to quickly filter out issues that need attention.

Other quick filters that are extremely useful are components, labels, or time-based filters that can be used in various combinations to highlight issues that meet the desired criteria that you want to focus on for current efforts.

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events