automation: search for subtask with same parent

Dominique Hermens September 29, 2021

When a certain subtask is created, I want it to be linked to its "sister/brother" subtask that contains a certain word in the summary. So I need to find subtasks with the same parent.

I want to make a new branch  in the automation and there I want to use JGL but what do I need to write in there?

For the certain word I use 

summary ~ 'Anhang' and ....

can someone tell me waht the second part looks like?

Thanks in advance!!!

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

Hi Dominique, welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you try this JQL query in you automation branch?

summary ~ 'Anhang' and parent = {{issue.parent.key}}

{{issue.key}} is a smart value and references the parent issue key from the issue triggering the rule. So if your new subtasks triggers the automation parent = {{issue.parent.key}} will return all issues from the same parent as you sub-task

More smart values can be found on Smart values - general 

I hope this helps!

the jql section does not like the {{ }}, so when I go on "check query" I can not select it, only when I delete them but that does not work. is there a workaround?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

But you can save the configuration without pressing "check query" right?

I think it should work like that, it has been a while since I tried this.

Like # people like this

YES, it works!!! Thank you very much!

Like Charlie Misonne likes this
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2021

You're welcome! Glad I could help!

Like Dominique Hermens likes this
Karolina Dylewicz April 6, 2023

thanks man! it works :D 

1 vote
David Ciran January 12, 2024

Hi @Dominique Hermens,

Firstly, I am aware of the fact you already solved your problem, however, I would still like to mention an app our team developed for similar issues.

If you are fine with a marketplace app, we have created Subtasks Navigation app to view your sibling issues and their description without loading the entire parent nor using the filter. I know it does not exactly answer your question but still it might be a good addition to your toolkit, allowing you to easily find subtasks with the same parent in a new panel called Other Subtasks (view the picture below)

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Subtasks Navigation for Jira

Description of all siblings screenshot.png

Dominique Hermens January 12, 2024

Hey David,

thanks for that, unfortunatelly I do not work with Jira for the moment (new job). But I guess this could help others 👍

Kind regards

Dominique

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer