auto-populate ticket id on commit

Mike Hedman July 8, 2014

So, I maybe just a bit crazy here. But it seems wierd that I have to put the ticket number in the commit notes, for a branch that was created against the ticket.

We have a number of developers all over the world, and we are struggling with people having typos with their ticket number when the write commit notes. They either typo the wrong number, and now that commit is nearly forever (ie, difficult to move back) associated with the wrong ticket. Or they type in a wrong ticket number that doesn't exist. Welcome la la land.

Are there any pluggins or setup configurations that would auto-associate to the ticket it was branched from when a commit with no ticket number is listed? Then I can tell the devs, only when you specifically want to associated a commit with a ticket that it wasn't branched from, you type in the ticket.

4 answers

0 votes
Mike Hedman July 8, 2014

And we are using sourcetree to do the checkins. For me, the big issue is that if someone fat fingers the ticket number, and puts their commit against my ticket, and then has a code review pending, my ticket can't move forward until that code review is completed. We haven't found a good way to "move" commits around if they get pushed under the wrong ticket.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2014

Ok, I fixed the tags. Hopefully someone familiar with Jira and/or Stash knows about an alternative way to associate tickets with commits.

0 votes
Mike Hedman July 8, 2014

we use jira and stash. I probably do have the wrong tag associated with it. And we use sourcetree to do commits.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2014

SourceTree seems like an irrelevant tag here. Ticket-commit associations don't occur in Git/Hg, they occur in the various ticketing systems out there. What are you using on that end?

Suggest an answer