attachment link in bullet list will change letter font in next line to smaller characters

Tim Straub October 9, 2019

Hi,

we have the following issue with the letter font in a comment:

If a user adds an attachment into a newly created comment, for example a Microsoft Outlook MSG file (message) this attachment is shown as a link.

Then the user makes a bullet list with even this attachment line.

When he then press ENTER (to the next bullet line) the text font will get smaller in the next line.

smallfont.jpg

Has anybody seen this already?

Regards

Tim

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2019

Hi Tim,

Thanks for providing the detailed steps here.  With these I was then also able to replicate this problem.  I agree this is a bug in the way the visual editor in Jira server is working.  It seems that it is incorrectly applying that caret ^ character here on that next line.

In my research of this problem I came across a very similar reported bug in JRASERVER-64897.  While the steps are a bit different here, I certainly think this is related to the problem you have found here.  So I created a new bug that more clearly highlights the steps you took to locate this bug in JRASERVER-70097.

I found that if you use a carriage return (enter) after creating the link, but before creating the bullet list / numbered list, that this formatting bug does not appear.  Additionally this bug does not appear to extend itself to the text editor and seems to be bound specifically to the Visual editor.

That said, thanks for raising this problem on Community.  I am not sure when this bug might be fixed within Jira server, but you can watch that bug ticket for updates on this problem.  I hope that one of these work-around above will be useful in the meantime.

Cheers,

Andy

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2019

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear about this problem.  While I have seen other documented bugs around spacing in bullet lists in Jira, such as JRASERVER-33394, I have not yet found this specific bug documented that you describe here.

I tried to recreate what you described in my 8.4.1 test instance of Jira, by adding a comment, and trying to insert both attachment links and external links into the first line of a bullet list.  However I could not seem to replicate this problem here.

I'd be interested to learn more about your environment here.  Such as

1. What version of Jira this is?
  2. Does this happen in other wiki-markup fields?  Like the description, or is it limited to Comments field?
  3. Does this happen for other link types? external HTTP links, Mailto links, etc?  Or is this limited specifically to attachments with in-line links?

I'd be interested to figure out how I can reproduce this problem so that we can better document this behavior.

Regards,

Andy

Tim Straub October 11, 2019

Hi @Andy Heinzer ,

I am able to reproduce this issue in 8.3.4 and even in 8.4.2.

Here is my step by step description of this issue:

1. I load an PDF file as attachment. This will create an underscored URL link. No additional text besides the filename has been typed.
  2. Now I select the bullet list button within the editor what will make the first line of a bullet list and put the cursor to the first letter of this link, Press Enter to create the second line of the bullet list.
  3. Any typed text will be shown in a smaller font.

When I use the text mode there is a slight difference between the first and the second line. The second line is indented by a single space (?) character. When I copy and paste the whole text the indent dissapears:

* [^Axians_R58700447910_Office365.PDF]
* ^tes^

On my screenshot you will the the indent.

smallfont-text.jpg

The behavior is the same in Description.

Copy and paste a URL (text) from the web browser does not change the font. Creating a external link using the editor menu seems to work well, too.

HTH

Regards

Tim

Suggest an answer