any concept of a centralized doc repo in jira?

Andrew Ciccarelli August 26, 2015

Hi, I have a document that may need to be associated with multiple different issues in Jira. I want to store the document in a central location so all issues that reference the document will always navigate to the latest version of the document.

In the past, I would have stored this document in some type of document repository like SharePoint. Does Jira have any type of built-in central document repository concept intended for a document that needs to be referenced from multiple places in Jira?

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Gibson August 26, 2015

If you have confluence as well, then Nic's last option might be best.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2015

No. 

JIRA is an issue tracker, it focusses on the issue at all times, and the implicit assumption is that an issue is self-contained.  Information shared by many issues probably needs to be shared at a different level - project or component for example.

Of course, there's loads of options - some (definitely not all) are:

• Say "refer to doc attached to XYZ-123" in a text field - JIRA will convert the XYZ to a link to the holding issue automatically.
  • Add a link to the issue to XYZ-123 - you could even have a link type of "doc is attached to ..."
  • Link directly to the attachment's url somewhere in the text
  • Set up a custom field that points to it
  • Stick the document in a proper document repository and link to that in the text or in a dedicated field
  • Import the document into Confluence and take advantage of the close integration between that and JIRA

Suggest an answer