add a multiline description with curl REST API

Jesse Josserand March 2, 2015

I have successfully written ksh code that creates a JIRA ticket using curl and REST API.

I also have script that can create a sub-task for such a main ticket.

My problem is in my sub-task ticket I want to put into the description field detailed error data that is multiple lines. I have successfully used 'tr' to strip returns but that makes the data look horrible as it's just one long line of very difficult to read text.

I would rather have the text show up in the description 'with' multiple lines.

Problem is the ticket creation fails on the first new line as if that's the end of the curl command unless I use 'tr'.

I have tried to use 'tr' to plug in literal '\n' but that's not working either. 'tr' just interprets the slash 'n' and outputs a new line instead of the literal characters. 

I've also tried converting the octals (\015 and \012) to literal "slash n" (\n) using 'sed' but getting the same result as with 'tr' - i.e., the slash in is converted to a physical new line rather than output as literal characters.

Please HELP! 

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2015

This is more of a CURL question than a JIRA one. You should be using --data-binary or -d @message.txt I think.

Suggest an answer