Zephyr for Jira - Can we restrict a user from editing executed test?

latha December 2, 2014

How can we Zephyr for Jira - Can we restrict a user from editing executed test? Would it be possible to create a new version for any executed tests and make changes only to the newer version of the test case? We are evaluating JIRA v6.3.9/Zephyr for JIRA 2.5.1.

4 answers

2 votes
Jacob Feisley December 2, 2014

We work around this Zephyr limitation by using workflow permissions. First you have to have to configure Zephyr to show the workflow toolbar and assign an appropriate workflow to your Tests.

In our case our basic workflow is Open -> Under Review -> Active

Once a test is designed and moved to Active it is restricted from any editing. We do this by applying workflow properties on the "Active" status as follows:

jira.permission.create.user = denied
jira.permission.edit.user = denied

This technically means that only the username "denied" can edit the issue. Since we will never have a user with this name, it works for us. You may want to adjust if you somehow will use that username.

Zephyr checks for "Create" permission when you add Test steps and checks the "Edit" permission when you move, delete, or edit the steps. Now the "Create" permission is the odd one here: Since you are applying this to a workflow step, you are saying that you cannot create an issue when the issue is in this status. But since this is a workflow property it does not apply to normal issue creation. In essence it only impacts Zephyr as its the only thing that would check for "Create" permission within an issue context. Logically since the steps are part of the issue it would have made sense for Zephyr to use the "Edit" permission for everything, but that is not the case here.

Hope this helps.

1 vote
Thomas Krause December 2, 2014

To me that's one of the biggest questions to Zephyr currently. You can edit test definitions with the weirdest effects on the test execution reports:

• Change a test step from do this to do that. Looking at the text execution is non sense now.
  • Remove a test definition step in between the sequence of steps. The results are now assigned to the wrong step, same if you add a step.

Basically that means: As soon as you've done a single test execution you should prevent to change the test definition, everything else breaks the laziest definitions of traceability.

Having the need to copy test definitions (I think they at least have a cloned from link) I would assume the whole system becomes unmanageable very soon.

So, I would second the question you've raised to Zephyr, how do you envision to use the plugin?

0 votes
Krishnan Iyer January 14, 2015

The above solution from Jacob works like a charm

Thanks a ton smile

It is so weird though that there is no straightforward permission, I tried the following earlier and  it did not work:

jira.issue.editable=false but did not work. It would prevent me from editing the issue itself but would allow to edit or create test steps. Adding the above two permissions nailed it.

Now, I am looking at how to prevent execution of tests that are not yet approved

Any suggestions on this will be appreciated

Cheers!

Jayita Chakraborty July 19, 2017

Any idea how to prevent execution of tests that are not yet approved ? I am looking for the same feature in Zephyr - can you help on the same how it can be implemented?

Jayita Chakraborty July 19, 2017

How to prevent execution of tests in Zephyr that are not yet approved

0 votes
latha December 4, 2014

Thank you Jacob. I will try it out.

Suggest an answer