You have specified a database that is not empty, please specify an empty database.

eleven12 February 24, 2019

I had Jira working using a postgresql database, but as it was the only DB in postgres I made the (eventful) decision to switch to MySQL. I followed the setup  instructions and specified a completely empty database, but now I receive the error message: "You have specified a database that is not empty, please specify an empty database. If you want to upgrade an existing installation, please follow these instructions instead." I ran config.sh and after entering the MySQL information, I ran its test and it worked fine. However, when I restart Jira it starts in the setup routine, and when I enter the identical MySQL information for the empty database, it fails with the above message. When I copy the saved version of dbconfig.xml for the postgresql database, Jira still starts in the setup routine. When the setup routine starts and I select "My own database" for the database connection, it is empty (as if it didn't read the dbconfig.xml file).

How can I get Jira running with either the old postgresql database or a new MySQL database?! Thanks in advance...

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
eleven12 February 24, 2019

I figured out my mistake. My dbconfig.xml permissions were set incorrectly. Something that should have been checked earlier...

vivekrao_k January 10, 2022

Hi,

Could you please share the changes you made to dbconfig.xml file

eleven12 January 11, 2022

I found the problem was my dbconfig.xml file had an owner and group of root with file permissions set so only the owner could read it. I changed the owner from root to jira, which allowed it to be read.

Like Munesh likes this
Munesh October 3, 2023

yes its worked for me as well

Suggest an answer