Yet another Issue View Screen question

Pablo Dimenza November 16, 2017

It appears that while trying to setup the issue view on a board on the board settings does not have any effect, both adding or removing fields don't affect what we see on the screen. 

I removed visible and available fields from the "Issue Detail View" configuration screen within the Board Settings (i.e. Reporter or Status) but they still show. I'm a site, project and board admin. Using JIRA Cloud 

Did anyone have this issue or know if I'm doing something wrong?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2017

Hi Pablo,

You're not doing anything wrong.  This is a common point of confusion when working with Jira.

Reporter and Status are system fields.  As such, you can technically remove them from the screen, but it is not possible to remove these system fields from the page entirely with Jira.  At least not natively within the base Jira code.  I believe this was done a design choice to make sure that this vital information always appears on the view.

But that is not to say that removing a system field from the screen has no effect at all.  By removing a system field from the screen, you can no longer edit that field using the inline edit function (where you just click the field to be able to edit it).   You can still edit this under the Edit button.   But since these are system fields, there is still a hardcoded feature to make sure that this information appears on the page.

You are not alone in the desire to be able to remove these.  There is an existing feature request to allow such system fields be removed from view in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-20138

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Andy

Pablo Dimenza November 20, 2017

Thanks for the answer Andy.

However I used Reporter and Status as examples. The thing is that removing or adding fields to the issue detail view page does not have any effect, not even the one you describe. "Reporter" cannot be edited regardless of being in the Issue detail view or not. I wanted to add the "Due Date" field to the Issue Detail view on a board with no success.

Thanks again!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hi Pablo,

When you are looking at the issue details view, is this showing as a popup window?   Or is this issue details view appearing on the far right side of the page?

If this is a popup window, then I think this is a documented bug of this new Labs feature.  Please see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16401 for details.

The current work-around is to disable this Labs feature.  That reverts the issue details view on a board to use the right pane of the window to show this information correctly.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Andy

Pablo Dimenza November 22, 2017

Hi Andy,

Thanks, that's why it's called early adopter's pain :)

Thanks a lot!

Suggest an answer