Xray: Test vs Test Execution status

Carlos Gomez January 3, 2021

Hello, 
We are using in our company X-ray as a test management tool while executing manual tests.  We specify "Tests" that are organized in "Test sets" and we execute them with "Test Executions".

X-ray is configured in a way that we can not run the test executions unless the tests have status "Done".  Does this make sense? I would appreciate is you can share how you manage these tests elements. Thanks. 

1 answer

0 votes
Jim.Sears July 26, 2021

Hi Carlos,

I don't work for xray but I think it makes sense. The Xray execution is not related to Jira status so this means the Jira status can be anything you want at the time of Xray execution.

I too want the Jira status to be DONE prior to execution because the Jira flow includes status REVIEW. Only after a peer reviews and approves the Xray test can the status be set to DONE. This ensures the test quality is met prior to execution.

My one concern is that once a Jira status is DONE, it is not supposed to be un-DONE. If the test needs to be modified or updated then the status should be back to IN-PROGRESS. If you are ok with moving an Xray Test from DONE back to IN-PROGRESS then the flow makes sense to me.

Jira Status for Xray Test 

• To Do
  • In Progress
  • Review
  • Done (Xray execution allowed)

Maybe others will provide input.

P.S.

I continued researching this and Xray has a discussion on Jira flows that looks like a better fit than what I suggested earlier. The flow includes IN-USE to show a test is active and ready for execution.

See this link.

https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY/Using+Jira+workflows+for+testing+purposes

Jim

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2021

Hi @Carlos Gomez 

In Xray, the issue types are based on Jira issue types, so you can adjust the workflows to your needs and use them with Xray issues, the same way you would use them with any other issue type in Jira.

So @Jim.Sears workflow suggestions are great options.

It essentially goes down to what makes sense to your work process.

Although, I personally would not use the Done status as the executable status and probably would create a new status for this purpose. At the end of the day, what matters is what works for you and your process.

So feel free to use Jim's workflow or add some extra status if it works for you and your team. On Xray-side, you will have the option to configure which status doesn't allow execution.

Any additional questions, please get in touch with Xray Support (http://xraysupport.getxray.app); we would gladly assist you.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Danielle Koby January 23, 2023

@Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter What status would you recommend for a test issue that I've finished writing and is now executed on a regular basis?

Jim.Sears January 27, 2023

@Danielle Koby 

I realize this question was directed to me so I apologize if that offends anyone. We use "Active" meaning a test is in use. Inactive meaning it is no longer used and retired because the test steps are not accurate or the covered functionality was removed from the application.

The Jira Status Category can still be "Done"  for both statuses so it isn't actively updated and is Done. This makes for a great report of Test Design; tests requiring test steps are "In Progress" while completed tests are "Active".

I hope that helps.

Danielle Koby January 30, 2023

Thank you very much!

Suggest an answer