Wrong error message at login when Microsoft Active Directory account is locked

Alfonso Leiva August 4, 2014

I have configured Jira 6.2 to use a Microsoft Active Directory user directory.

It works smoothly, as usual, but there is a message not clear at all: if a user locks his Active Directory account trying to login to Windows and the account get s locked, when he goes to other computer and try to log in to Jira it says that the username or password are incorrect. Is that a bug? Or it is intended to be that way? Is there a way to change it without modifying the Jira Installation directory, or without opening a JAR?

2 answers

0 votes
Jeff Curry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2018

A little late to this party but I discovered this thread in creating the following feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-66580

I'm assuming the UI doesn't show account locked errors due to security concerns. If you have a public-facing Jira with an internal active directory you could attempt to phish for accounts if error messages are more specific.

0 votes
Pete Buletza January 14, 2015

The same behavior is seen with Stash.  In our particular case, if AD is requiring a user password change because it expired, the Stash UI simply says login failed, with no further information.  It required trying to ssh to a machine before we figured out that the problem was an expired password.  

Why doesn't the UI show the messages or a message that is returned from AD? 

Suggest an answer