Wrong error message at login when Microsoft Active Directory account is locked

I have configured Jira 6.2 to use a Microsoft Active Directory user directory.

It works smoothly, as usual, but there is a message not clear at all: if a user locks his Active Directory account trying to login to Windows and the account get s locked, when he goes to other computer and try to log in to Jira it says that the username or password are incorrect. Is that a bug? Or it is intended to be that way? Is there a way to change it without modifying the Jira Installation directory, or without opening a JAR?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

The same behavior is seen with Stash.  In our particular case, if AD is requiring a user password change because it expired, the Stash UI simply says login failed, with no further information.  It required trying to ssh to a machine before we figured out that the problem was an expired password.  

Why doesn't the UI show the messages or a message that is returned from AD? 

This widget could not be displayed.
Jeff Curry Atlassian Team Jan 02, 2018

A little late to this party but I discovered this thread in creating the following feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-66580

I'm assuming the UI doesn't show account locked errors due to security concerns. If you have a public-facing Jira with an internal active directory you could attempt to phish for accounts if error messages are more specific.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

285 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you