Write complex queries

Kaustubh Darodker April 26, 2022

How do I find people taking longer than what the story points was estimated? 

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

Hi @Kaustubh Darodker ,

so story points and time are actually dissimilar. If you are using Original estimate and logging time then you can assess where things are under estimated. 

Kaustubh Darodker April 27, 2022

@Jack Brickey - Thanks for the quick response but we don't log time, we rely only on the story points and we roughly (and mentally) translate it to developer-hours. I am capable of writing such complex queries but I am unable to succeed with the limited capabilities of the JIRA query tool.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

Hmmm, what does your attempt look like. I am unsure how you can query based on story points to measure the effectiveness of the story points or the individual working on the issue based on story points.

Kaustubh Darodker April 28, 2022

Let me give you some user stories and how one of my teams translates it to numbers

1 point - 1 day

2 points - 2/3 days

3 points - 3/4 days

5 points - 5/7 days

but what I see sometimes that a developer starts working on say a 3 pointer but then he takes over 6/7 days to finish the task. These are the kind of details I want to find. 

Say 3 points - and it started on 4/21 (or moved to in-progress) and it was marked as "done" on 4/27, which is 5 days. I want to then go and talk to the developer and check if this was an underestimation or we changed the scope and we need to be more tight with our estimation. The intent is to get these real numbers as close to the real outcome (at least) for majority of the stories. This will allow you us be more predictable to the product team and promise a roadmap that we can use as a delivery guideline, closely. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2022

where do you record actual story points?

Kaustubh Darodker May 10, 2022

Sorry for some I missed the notification about this question. I use the the story points field.

Suggest an answer