Would like to know in depth about the JQL, any sources?

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2021

Hi all,

I would like to excel in writing JQL's and master the concept. Having said, I have limited knowledge on the same and would like to go deeper with some practical stuff.

Any references, learning sources or links would be highly valuable and appreciated, please.

Regards,

Subramanyam G

Author and ACL

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2021

Hi @G subramanyam 

Have you seen this Atlassian page, and the ones linked under it:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/use-advanced-search-with-jira-query-language-jql/

Best regards,

Bill

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

Thank you @Bill Sheboy for the link. I had already gone through that link and learned bits and pieces. But some how, I'm felling lost when writing few complex JQL's given the project scenario's.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2021

I completely understand that situation... JQL is not an ISO SQL, and so solving some problems is more difficult or impossible without marketplace add-ons or a full data export to a relational database or spreadsheet.

Here is what I suggest: 

• Build queries as you need them
  • When you cannot figure out a technique, post a specific question
  • As you solve things, save your filters for later reference

And, you will find that with a browser search, you can find several write-ups outside of this community forum where people have created their own "JQL how-to" guides.  And there appear to be books for sale on this topic, believe it or not.  ;^)

Like G subramanyam likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2021

Thank you @Bill Sheboy for your time and information. Books on JQL sounds interesting! and I will search for few in Amazon.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer