Workload pie chart with story points

Asif Shaikh August 22, 2018

I want to create a workload pie chart gadget based on story points instead of time estimates, as our project uses story points to estimate tasks. I did not find such an option (the dropdown menu of the workload pie chart gadget shows time remaining, not story points remaining).

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2018

Currently this is an open request to have story points based charts and gadgets

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-10424

BRAD WARDELL February 2, 2020

How's this coming?

Like # people like this
Tom Harris - Old Street
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2020

Hi @BRAD WARDELL ,

We've recently released this feature on our app Custom Charts for Jira.

You can now create pie, bar and funnel charts showing the number of Story Points.

Story Point Charts.png

You can try the app right now on our free interactive playground.

There are lots of other features in Custom Charts including re-arranging the order of segments, changing the colors, renaming, hiding options and more!

I hope that's what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Tom - Custom Charts Product Manager

Carmen Georgescu February 27, 2024

@Tom Harris - Old Street any chance you'd provide these charts in the on-prem JIRA?

Mark Alcantara March 12, 2024

Wow, so the solution to a basic agile element is to upsell? Not a corporate cash grab what-so-ever! 

Guy Rutter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 25, 2024

I've just come to the same realisation. This is a major flaw not present in one main competitor I could mention.

3 votes
Jaco Theron August 22, 2022

@Atlassian @jira  is it possible to do workload graph or chart for a sprint based on story points yet? not seeing anything fruitful in the responses above. 

This is a critical feature that is needed by your clients.

Thanks 

Guy Rutter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 25, 2024

Answer is apparently no. 

2 votes
Rahul Yadav June 22, 2023

Agree with the comments above. It's difficult to understand why Atlassian will not provide the most fundamental functionality like this and instead force us to pay for the plugins.

Seeing this lack of empathy from them, I'll move away from the Atlassian in a heartbeat.

0 votes
Doug McFarlane May 24, 2023

Wait is this a joke? Can you actually not use Story Points as the metric for these charts? Isn't that literally the fundamental measurement of development progress? 

z.stone May 24, 2023

No joke. this is pretty standard Atlassian MO. Refuse to provide core functionality forcing users to have to turn to paid plugins. 

Like # people like this
Marcos Martinez Garcia May 25, 2023

It does not make sense from a logical point of view. So I guess it is related with money. In Atlassian you need to pay for this very basic feature that Azure DevOps provides for free... 

z.stone May 25, 2023

Most of us work for software companies. This is a good reminder of what it feels like for our customers when we improve features they don't care about and ignore core offerings they have been asking for for years.  Thanks Atlassian for helping me be better at making products, but totally by accident. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Recurly Operations June 22, 2020

Custom Charts for Jira is a paid add-on.  Has Atlassian added this basic functionality?

Tom Harris - Old Street
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2020

Hi @Recurly Operations

You can follow the progress of the Atlassian features here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-10424

Thanks,

Like Gediminas Rimsa likes this
Tom Harris - Old Street
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2020

Hi @Recurly Operations

You can follow the progress of the Atlassian feature requests here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-10424

Thanks,

Recurly Operations August 21, 2020

In other words ... no Atlassian has not yet taken any action on this 6 year old request and it doesn't look like there is any interest in adding it so .... we are forced to build our own solutions.

Like # people like this
Darren October 4, 2020

I find it strange when story points seem to be fundamental to agile that there are not basic gadgets for pie/bar charts for a sprint that can group by epic or label.  

Like # people like this
Anthony Chiboucas July 14, 2021

@atlassian, this is a great example of why people are migrating away from Jira and Confluence. 

• Critical tools for basic Agile are hidden behind additional pay-walls. 
  • Story Points are nearly useless everywhere but sprint planning, and that corner of Jira is 80%+ your users, but hasn't been improved in nearly 10 years. (except added layers behind additional pay walls)

This is seriously irking me:

• Agile Roadmap? double the fee.
  • Story Point charts and reports? double the fee, or buy a barely helpful addon from the marketplace.
  • Track features seperate from Epics? double the fee

If you want to keep your users, it's time to adapt, and drop your habit of paid stick-on bandaids.

Like # people like this
Ken McGowan (Paylocity) July 23, 2021

It gets better. Want to display your charts in Confluence? That's also a separate product with its own price tag.

https://ossapps.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CCFJ/pages/255689257/FAQ

confluence-charts.png

No thanks.

Like # people like this
Anthony Chiboucas July 26, 2021

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that all the reports and charts I want will be easier, and more cost effective, to DIY in tools like GSheets. Should I spend 2 hours, and get a reusable report that's exactly what I need, or over $1k a year for something that kinda does what I want?

Like # people like this
Marcos Martinez Garcia October 29, 2021

This story points graphs are an out-of-the-box functionality in Azure DevOps, I really like Atlassian, but this does not make any sense.

Like # people like this
Travis Dimmig November 22, 2021

Much as I tend to dislike M$ products, Atlassian doesn't appear interested in their products shipping with the basic functionality you'd want as an Agile team manager or scrum master.

I would not, at this point, recommend anyone start a project with Atlassian products. Using Azure DevOps seems like the way to go.

Nathaniel Rink August 12, 2022

It is inconceivable to me that you can't create a pie chart based on story points.

Like I HAVE to be missing something

If this is true then Atlassian, next could I get a car without a steering wheel please?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer