Working with a Group Picker (multiple groups), how do I get the group name?

I've tried using Calulated Text and just get the value of this Group Field. However, what I'm getting is not the Group Field displayed value but the following :

[com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.impl.ImmutableGroup@d9c30e6a]

I also tried copying it over to a Text Field but got the following

com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.impl.ImmutableGroup@d9c30e6a

Is there a way to get the group name and be able to use substring function on it? For usernames, I use displayName and get the Full Name of the user.

It's definitely different for groups as using the same does not yield the desired result.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

You can use the getName() method on the field value:

issue.get("customfield_12345").getName()

It did not work. :(

I tried it on both the Group Field and the Text Field it was copied to.

It can only work on the Group field (customfield_12345 in my example). What kind of field is your group field exactly?

If it's a multi-valued field, you can probably use (untested):

if (issue.get("customfield_12345")==null || issue.get("customfield_12345").size() == 0)
   return null;
return issue.get("customfield_12345").iterator().next().getName()

If it doesn't work, look at atlassian-jira.log for syntax errors.

Alright! Thank you so much for the help David! Really appreciate it. :)

I'm trying this now but it's not giving me the EquivalentID

if (issue.get("customfield_12345")==null || issue.get("customfield_12345").size() == 0)
return null;
if "ABCDEF".equals(issue.get("customfield_12345").iterator().next().getName().substring(7,13))
return EquivalentID;
return Unavailable;

IT WORKS!!! Thank you! Is there a reference that I could look into in order to improve the knowledge you are imparting me? I'm not really a Jave Programmer. I've experience on the very old AS400 / RPG Language.

Unfortunately, this requires some knowledge of the internal data model of JIRA, which comes from accessing the JIRA source code which you get with any commercial license.

Figured it out. I just need to add "" to the strings. :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

222 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you