Workflows not showing up both Active and Inactive

Teja May 10, 2016

Jira System administration -->Issues --> Workflows,  when I click on workflows and when the page loads, all of the workflows are missing.   the projects are working correctly, but I cannot see or edit them. 

the error received is “The JIRA server was contacted but has returned an error response.  We are unsure of the result of this operation.”

3 answers

3 votes
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

This could happen if a "broken" workflow has somehow ended up in the database. Check the atlassian-jira.log file - there should be an error with more information.

Teja May 12, 2016

Hi Petar,

Thanks for your comment.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: There are more than one workflows associated with 'Dply V1' in the database! 

I Tried these steps in my jiradatabase 

Step 1: Searched all workflow in JIRA by executing this query 

SELECT * FROM jiraschema.jiraworkflows;

and found duplicate workflow.

Step2: Deleted duplicate workflow by getting id 

DELETE from jiradraftworkflows where id = 13125;

It worked well.

Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2016

Great! Can you please mark my answer as accepted?

Deleted user September 1, 2016

Hello Teju,

I'm having this same problem. How can I know what workflow needs to be deleted?

Please help. Thank you smile

Regards,

Edgar

Teja September 1, 2016

Hi Edgar,

First you're gonna have to enter into the database, I mean in which database JIRA was hosted.

Second you have to search duplicate workflow by exicuting this query [ SELECT * FROM jiraschema.jiraworkflows; ] on top of the table you will find the IDs i.e workflow ids.

Third delete the workflow using query [ DELETE from jiradraftworkflows where id = 12345; ]  

12345 is your workflow ID.

Prior to that stop JIRA services.

Thanks

Deleted user September 2, 2016

Thank you! smile

0 votes
Deleted user September 2, 2016

Resolution

Always back up your data before performing any modifications to the database. If possible, test any insert, update, or delete SQL commands on a staging server first.

1. Run the following SQL query on the database (to identify the drafts with more than one entry):

SELECT count(*), parentname FROM jiradraftworkflows group by parentname having count(*) > 1;

For the workflows(not draft), run the following query :

SELECT count(*), workflowname FROM jiraworkflows group by workflowname having count(*) > 1;
  2. Delete one of the Id which have the same parentname.

SELECT id, parentname from jiradraftworkflows;
    DELETE from jiradraftworkflows where id = <chosen_id_with_duplicated_parentname>;

For the workflows(not draft), run the following query :

SELECT id,workflowname FROM jiraworkflows;
    DELETE from jiraworkflows where id = <chosen_id_with_duplicated_workflowname>;
  3. Restart JIRA.
  4. Run a re-index of your instance.
0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2016

Check your version/browser compatability.  For example, IE9 is not compatable with Cloud.

Suggest an answer