Workflows and statuses

Hello,

I am new to Jira so please bare with me.

I have created a project that will include around 20 or so issues. I need a workflow for each issue as each issue is in reality a test case.

I was trying to create a Status named "Closed" as in Closed Test Case but i couldn't. I got a message that that status name was already used. In fact, it was already used but in a different workfow for a different project. That error made me reonsider my whole strategy!

First is it a good practice to create a different workflow for each issue?

Second, is there a way around having duplicate names for statuses? (as i wil have resolved and closed in every workflow)!!!

Thanks a bunch for the help

Nick

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

No, it's not a good practice.

Workflows are locked to issue TYPES, not issues. If you've got 20 issues in your project, 10 bugs and 10 features, then at most you'll be using 2 workflows - one for bugs and one for features.

20 workflows with 20 different test types and only 1 issue of each in a project is a bit of a mess really, it's going to be a nightmare to set up and maintain, and won't really gain you much.

I'd step back and re-evaluate your requirements here. What are you really trying to achieve?

Although, one quick point - reusing a status is not an issue, multiple workflows all with one "Close" status is absolutely fine.

Perfect Thanks a lot.

I did actually re-evaluate my requirements. I have a better understanding of workflows now.

I won't bother with them anymore as the test cases would be executed and it's either they stay "unresolved" or the QA analyst will just click on "Done" if the test is a pass.

That would the job for me.

Any special strategy i should folow when using JIRA for softwre testing??

SO far i would create a project, then issues (test cases) in that project then i would assign thoses issues to different people.

that sounds fine to you?

Not exactly. When I've used Jira a testing tool, I've found it is not really that useful.

What it was good at was recording test execution stuff. Each issue was a test case execution request (and the workflow recorded pass, fail, metrics, people, locations, versions and so-on).

But the actual management of test cases is not that easy in Jira, and I don't know anyone who is doing it without plugins or external systems.

I'd have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Using+JIRA+for+Test+Case+Managementfirst, and then https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?application=jira&category=&cost=&hosting=&marketingLabel=&q=test+casefor the plugins

This widget could not be displayed.

Thanks again :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Friday in Jira

New 5k User Limit and Other Cloud Updates

Hi all! Lauren here from the Enterprise Cloud marketing team.  I have some exciting Cloud updates from #AtlassianSummit that I wanted to share. We want everyone in your organization to be ab...

94 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you