Workflow transitions with multiple originating steps?

Can the same workflow transition have multiple originiating steps? Much in the same way global transitions do, but with a select list of origniating steps.

How can I apply this with Jira 6.0.7?

4 answers

1 accepted

Along with global transitions - as mentioned Jamie, there are also common transitions, available from Workflow designer - when you are making trnasition to step where already some transition ends, you can choose this as *common* transition. But it basically doesn't differ from global transition (just you are hardwiring the source steps).

Yeah, this is a better answer than mine. And adding common actions is the only reason I ever go into the workflow designer...

Perfect. Thank you Jozef, that was exactly the answer my question. I didn't know about the common transition scheme in the designer.

1 vote

Personally I create a global transition then use a condition to bar it from one or more of the originating statuses. There are already conditions you can use for this, for instance there is a built-in script condition in script runner for this.

I didn't say, but this is under the Agile workflow, where there are no conditions on moving the status across. The main problem with having the global transition and the specific transition is that the user is given the choice when dragging in Agile boards to which of the two transitions to use.

0 vote
Pedro Cora Atlassian Team Sep 30, 2013

Could you detail a little more what you are trying to achieve?

I have a workflow with 6 statuses. Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve:

1. Given status A, B, C, D, E, F
  2. You can then create a A,B,C,D,E,F -> F global transition
  3. Then you want a special A -> F transition to replace the global A -> F transition
  4. Since it is not possible to remove the A -> F transition from the global transition set, you need to remove the global transition alltogether
  5. Create a transition with multiple originating status B,C,D,E,F -> F. Note the missing A.

So can I do no 5) with Jira?

Unless no 5) is possible, you'd need in this case to create a number of transitions for each of permutations possible, B->F, C->F, D->F and so on, woulnd't you. Because if you do it's a nightmare to administer. With 6 statuses there are in total 36 permuations of transitions!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,321 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot