Workflow transition dependent on attachment

Adam Foot August 2, 2021

How do I configure a workflow so that it can only transition to the next status if it has an attachment?

1 answer

0 votes
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

Hello @Adam Foot 

To ensure that the transition happens from status A to status B only if it has an attachment, please add a validator to the transition.

Please refer to the below screenshot for implementation.

NOTE: This will require admin privileges. Kindly contact the instance administrator for this.

Please accept the answer if this helps solve your query else respond and allow others to share input.

Validator 1.jpgValidator 2.JPGValidator 3.JPG

Adam Foot August 3, 2021

Hi Gaurav,

I did also try this validator rule before posting here but unfortunately it doesn't work. Whether I upload an attachment or not, it's unable to transition.

To clarify, there are no other validators or conditions on this transition & when I attempt to transition the issue the error message appears that I've typed in for this validator rule (this validator rule is the source of it being unable to transition).

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

Hello @Adam Foot 

An alternate option would be to add a screen to the transition which makes adding an attachment mandatory.

This will also need admin privileges.

Please accept the answer if this helps solve your query else respond and allow others to share input.

Adam Foot August 3, 2021

How do you associate a screen with a status or transition?

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2021

Hello @Adam Foot 

To add a screen to the Transition, please open the workflow in edit mode, select the required Transition and click edit. From the dialogue box select the required screen and click Save.

Transition Screen.JPG

Adam Foot August 4, 2021

I've just built this all out, only to discover that you can't make attachments mandatory. Let me know if there is a way out of the box?

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2021

Hello @Adam Foot 

I have just tried using automation to achieve something similar, but not perfect. The automation would check for attachment any time an issue is transitioned from Status A to Staus B. This would take into consideration any attachment added to the issue, previously as well.

If the attachment is missing it will transition the issue back to Status A and add a comment.

Required attachment.JPG

Adam Foot August 4, 2021

I've added this rule & the transition back to the previous status. I'm able to move the issue between back & forth between the two status types - great.

However, the Automation rule fails with: "Error transitioning issues
ITP-29 (Can't move (ITP-29). You might not have permission, or the issue is missing required information. If you keep having this problem, contact your Jira Administrator.)"

To confirm, the automation rule is running as actor "Automation for Jira" & the transition back is stock standard without any conditions or validators.

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2021

Hello @Adam Foot 

From the error message shared, it seems that some information is being missed by the rule or the rule does not have permission to execute the transition.

Kindly check the permissions.

Manoj September 7, 2022

@Gaurav @Adam Foot 

Hello Both,

i got something similar to your conversion (queries & solution) looks like partially helpful for me.

what additional i am seeking is..

Have a condition to apply  on custom field - "Total Price"  if total price is >= 250000 then attachment is mandatory and if "Total Price" is <250000 then "attachment is not required"

To give you background on workflow, 

Drafted------->Submit for review------((there is already a condition, if it is in expected form then it will go for submit for second review))-----Submit for second review. 

Any guidance, would help!!!

Thanks!

M

Suggest an answer