Workflow "Parent Status Validator" doesn't work for "In Progress"

jiang gao April 27, 2022

Hi, I'm trying to prevent sub-tasks from transitioning to "Selected for Work" if the parent task is not "In Progress". So, I chose the tool "Parent Status Validator" for my sub-tasks workflow as below.

image.png

However:

1. it's showing an error "Transition is not authorized because current Issue's parent Issue should be in one of the following statuses: In Progress". But from the below screenshot, I can clearly see parent task's status is already "In Progress". 

2. After testing, I noticed it only becomes an issue when I apply "In Progress" for the validator, all the other statuses work as expected

Can someone help me with this issue? thank you! 

I'm using Jira cloud.

image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
jiang gao May 2, 2022

After talking to Jira supporting team, it turns out the issue is caused by there being multiple "In Progress" statuses from other team-managed projects. and the validator is mistakenly comparing the statuses from other projects with other IDs.

the workaround is changing the "In Progess" to a unique new name such as "InProgress" for my case. 

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

Hi @jiang gao

In jmwe you may have to revise the issue link. Looks like you are using the parent child link, but it should be the parent subtask link. Take a look here: https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JMWE/pages/104464392/Linked+Issues+Status+Validator

Regards 

jiang gao April 28, 2022

Hi @Fabian Lim, thanks for replying. But I'm not using the JMWE, and also there's no "Related Issues Status Validator" in my validators list. I guess they are all the native ones from Jira Cloud. 

image.png

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

In that case you will have to purchase the plugin. The out of the box most likely is for parent child relationships used in advanced roadmaps.

Suggest an answer