Workflow, multiple tasks

Michael Wagstaffe August 1, 2017

I am fairly new to Jira, and am looking for some advice I have a high level workflow that during the course of progression through it needs to create seperate issue / tasks for different individual teams of people working of the project that can each be closed out seperatly.

For example, in a project to develop a new piece of software..

Technical team need to derive the requirements

Development team need to develop a solution 

Test team then need to test development team work, if tests fail then a new task is created for the development team, or original is reopened.

The technical team do not need to even worry about others task and vice versa. only their workload.

I would appreciate some advice and thoughts on setting this sort of thing up, with Jira Cloud

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2017

The only way a workflow can 'create tasks' is to create sub-tasks under the main task. Even then you can't control which type of sub-task is created. There may be a workflow properties value that would allow preventing creating sub-tasks at different points in the workflow, but in general if sub-task types exist the user can create them. 

Michael Wagstaffe August 1, 2017

I dont seem to be able to find a great deal of information on sub tasks and how they work within the bigger task / issue..

My initial thoughts were fire of post transition tasks to create new issues for the individual teams, but that seems very disjointed as surely it would break the flow of the main issue..

Is it feasible to do something along the lines of create a sub task on a particular transition, and then block further transitions from that state until that sub task has been resolved?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events