Workflow exception

Gururaj August 9, 2012

We migrated jira data from jira 3.10 to jira 5.1.0. I am getting an exception when trying to resolving an issue.

On the UI I am getting "Could not load validator class"

I have two questions:

1. Do I have to install any plugin?

2. If I have to install any plugin, will it work in OnDemand environment?

Thank you for answer.

***** Exception ******

2012-08-09 11:38:10,530 http-8080-3 ERROR jagadeeshchoudari 698x5908x1 ojhq3i 10.33.195.97 /secure/CommentAssignIssue.jspa [atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager] Caught exception while attempting to perform action 5 from workflow 199049 on issue 'LVRMSA-6'
com.opensymphony.workflow.WorkflowException: Could not load validator class
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.verifyInputs(AbstractWorkflow.java:1508)
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.transitionWorkflow(AbstractWorkflow.java:1203)
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.doAction(AbstractWorkflow.java:564)

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2012

1. It looks like you are missing a plugin, yes. Might be worth looking at the xml for the workflow and digging out the validator class name - pop that into the marketplace or google and you should be able to identify which plugin provides it

2. You can't install plugins in OnDemand - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Atlassian+OnDemand+Plugin+Policy but that does list the plugins that ARE available, and it might be that your validator is in one of them.

Gururaj August 9, 2012

Thank you for the reply. From the exception I know it is opensymphony workflow. Not sure whether it is still supported on OnDemand.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2012

Evrything will be opensymphony workflow. Look at the workflow XML and find the actual validator class as Nic suggested.

Gururaj August 9, 2012

Thanks Jobin and Nic. I will check and I will let you know.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2012

I think you'll find that it is Opensymphony that is running the workflow actions, and your workflow will have "please use class xx.yy.zz to validate this transition", and that class will not be opensymphony based.

In other words, I think you've read the error message as "opensymphony is missing a class", when what it's really trying to tell you is "opensymphony is trying to call some class outside itself, and that is not there"

By far the easiest way to see this is to open the xml for your workflow in a plain text editor.

Suggest an answer