Workflow and Status

John Viall June 20, 2017

Moving from Version One to JIRA, and struggling with workflows and status.

NOTE: I may be using workflows and status wrong in the context of JIRA, so bare with me.

I'm trying to keep my boards and workflows simple, with a minimal number of kanban "columns".

Our workflow currently is, we do 2-week sprints, and every 2 sprints (4 weeks), a release. A release goes out to UAT, where customer testing happens, before moving on to production.

Looking for suggestions on how to handle this.

I have Proj1 with columns of: Backlog, In Progress, QA, Done. This handles the workflow for the Sprint.

Option 01: I add more columns to this workflow to handle the events after Sprint.

Option 02: I create a second project, DEPLOY, that would track moving from DEV (Backlog), into UAT, then into PROD.

Is there a better option, than either of these and if not, which would be the preferred method?

Thanks,

John

2 answers

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2017

Hi John.

You can have more than one board pointing to the same project.

So you could have one project with your full workflow, but manage the tasks on two boards - one covering the build and test, and the other covering the deployment.

Another other option to consider is using a checkbox custom field where you can indicate which enviroment(s) the work for a particular issue has been deployed into.

Perhaps use a workflow that is Backlog > In Progress > Deployed > QADone, where the issue loops through Deployed and QA as it goes through your environments, before going to Done when it has been deployed and tested in all including production.

Sam 

Vinutha GR January 24, 2022

Perhaps use a workflow that is Backlog > In Progress > Deployed > QA > Done, where the issue loops through Deployed and QA as it goes through your environments, before going to Done when it has been deployed and tested in all including production.

At what status can i close my first Sprint? If I close the Sprint at Deployed status.. how to track future status?

0 votes
Vinutha GR January 24, 2022

Hi John,

Did you resolve this? if so can you please help me. 

Suggest an answer