Workflow Transition Screen not working

S. K. July 23, 2018

Hi everybody,

can someone help me with following:

I need to add new button to already existing Projects that is going to show me specific Screen and then create a new subtask.

1. So I have updated the existing workflow, where transition is going from open and back to open ("create Y", as shown in the picture).
  2. I have also connected this transition to the corresponding screen

After have done all that, I went back to my test project. The button was there and the needed screen is also there when I click the button. But when I click Save, nothing happens. I don't get new subtask, and all the information I previously added to the Screen is gone.

Does someone know what I'm doing wrong here? Jira is completely new to me, so I have the feeling here like I'm constantly overseeing something. Like there is just one more step to be done, to bring this workflow to work.

JIRA.PNG

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Put your "create subtask function" in a postfunction and attach it to the transition :

see https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html

S. K. July 23, 2018

Thanks, I think this approach may just work.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Hello,

How do you create a subtask? As I read your question you only create a transition and a screen. How do you create a subtask?

S. K. July 23, 2018

So as I explained above:

So I already have created a function for creating a subtask, and it works just fine. but now I need to be able to create the same  subtask by clicking the button CREATE Y.

So I would like to know if this is possible by connecting transition with a screen which is already asociated with corresponding issue type or do I need to write custom script as well?
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2018

You should add your script as a post funtion to this transition

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

Nowhere in your description do you indicate you're trying to create a new subtask.  If you're trying to create a new subtask you need to use the create subtask function for that. 

S. K. July 23, 2018

You're right, should be more clear.

So I already have created a function for creating a subtask, and it works just fine. but now I need to be able to create the same  subtask by clicking the button CREATE Y.

So I would like to know if this is possible by connecting transition with a screen which is already asociated with corresponding issue type or do I need to write custom script as well?

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2018

HI @S. K.

Welcome to the community!

If you want to create a subtask the already create subtask option is there in More option.

And if you want to create subtask while transiting the issue/task then you need to write a custom script and you have to apply it on the respective transition.

Another option is you can use Create Issue On Transition add-on and configure accordingly so while transiting issue it will create a subtask and link to the parent.

S. K. July 23, 2018

hi @Yogesh Mude

I already have created a function for creating a subtask, and it works just fine. but now I need to be able to create the same  subtask by clicking the button CREATE Y.

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2018

@S. K. as you mentioned about you have been already created a function for creating Subtask..could you please let me know where you have been used this function I mean on issue transition?

Suggest an answer