Workflow Properties to Only Allow "Automation for Jira" User Edit Access

Will Thompson October 4, 2021

I've been trying to restrict edit access for issues at a specific status via the Workflow status properties.  I can't seem to figure out what to add to give the "Automation for Jira" user edit access.

I've tried both (not at the same time):

• jira.permission.edit.user = Automation for Jira
  • jira.permission.edit.user = 557058:f58131cb-b67d-43c7-b30d-6b58d40bd077

Neither seem to work.  I've confirmed that "Automation for Jira" is able to edit the respective issues when I have no properties set.  But when I set these properties to try to restrict edit access to ONLY "Automation for Jira", nothing is able to edit the respective issues - including the "Automation for Jira" user.

Something I'm missing?

4 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Bernhard Reiter December 17, 2021

You have to use

Key: jira.permission.edit.projectrole

Value: ID of the project role of "atlassian-addons-project-access"

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-17 um 16.32.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-17 um 16.37.55.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-17 um 16.38.36.png

Matt Houck February 28, 2023

This was perfect and took me way too long to find.  I could not get these specifics from any of the Atlassian documentation I found.  To me it would seem that 'Value' information like this should be easier to find.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Dace Petersone November 17, 2022

The right Automation for Jira ID can get from Quickfilter assignee = Automation for Jira.
Your number format looks correct. 
jira.permission.edit.user  
557058:f58131cb-b67d-43c7-b30d-6b58d40bd077

Actor of the Automation rule = Automation for Jira.

I tested few cases, it looks this works.

0 votes
Dace Petersone November 15, 2022

Hello,
I have same need as described initially as Secure level adding is not the choice (Issues must be visible for any project user, but editable for 1 project role (this is clear how to do) and for Automation for Jira only).  

0 votes
Imdad KP October 6, 2021

Hi @Will Thompson

Try this in status property

Property Key: jira.permission.assign.assignee

Property Value: assignee

Will Thompson October 6, 2021

Hi @Imdad KP

I'm curious, what would this do?  The "Automation for Jira" user is not the assignee for the issue (and I don't want to make it the assignee).

Imdad KP October 9, 2021

Hi @Will Thompson

Can you share the screenshot of the configurations you have created? Then, I can share the exact configuration that I have mentioned above.

Will Thompson October 13, 2021

Not sure what this screenshot will tell you that my original post didn't, but here you go:

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 6.08.52 PM.png

Will Thompson October 13, 2021

I ended up getting close enough to what I need for now using Security Levels.  It's not perfect and I may need to revisit this in the future, but I'm going to call it good enough for now.

Like Imdad KP likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events