Workflow Automation : Fix versions and Release - how?!

Jessica J Pollard August 5, 2019

Hello Fellow JIRA users!

I am looking for some kind of whizz to help me understand how to assign automation's to my workflow based on fix versions and releases. (TLDR at the bottom)

Current workflow:

My workflow has 4 levels in the hierarchy;

Initiative

Epic

User story

Sub Task

I have automation set up to transition the status through the hierarchy, such as when User story moves to status "In development" , Epic transitions to "In progress"

I also have automated sub tasks being kicked off to ensure that design is taking place at Epic level, and standard tasks are set for dev teams such as "Handover to QA" or "Code review"

Future state

What I would like to happen is to have a calendar of fix versions for each environment; Test, QA and PROD in my release module.

When a fix version is assigned to a user story, and the fix version is released, the user story should move to the next state.

For example

Fix Version =TEST_ME_2019_1.1

When fix version is released, linked User Stories would move to "In Test" status.

another example

Fix Version = PROD_ME_2019_1.1

When fix version is released, linked user stories would move to "released"

Appreciate any feedback I can get on this!

Thanks in advanced!

TLDR; Automation based on fix version, when "TEST" fix version is released, linked User Stories should move to "In Test". Different release version labels represent different environments.

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2019

Hello Jessica,

Just to confirm we are on the same page here, I believe you are using some kind of add-on to perform the automation between the hierarchies of your workflow, so you are looking for a way to perform this same automation but triggering when the issue version is released. Is it correct?

I'm not sure which add-on you are currently using, but Automation for JIRA Cloud can help you achieve this, by configuring a simple rule like below:

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 18.37.39.png

Let me know if this information helps or if you have any questions.

Jessica J Pollard August 15, 2019

Thanks for this, Automation for JIRA cloud is what I am using. 

I was missing that JQL piece...

Will have a play around with this today and come back to you :) 

Jessica J Pollard August 15, 2019

Okay, so this would work, if my fix versions were static names, but it would be more like contains "test" 

I understand that the ~ symbol is not in use for fixversion column

Ideas appreciated

Aftab_Akhtar October 23, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves 

how do you do this? my automation is providing me only fixed options to only choose from and 'version released' is not available.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 18.37.39.png

Like knedlik likes this

Suggest an answer