WorkFlows used across projects

Scott Branco December 3, 2019

Good Morning, 

We have discovered that we have 114 projects sharing one workflow. This workflow has issues from many different projects. 

One of the project leads reported his project is not working correctly. We did not notice the shared workflows till now. Should every project have it's own workflow? Does this setup create problems?

Please advise?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2019

There is not inherient issue w/ sharing workflows across projects and in fact can make things much easier to maintain. With that said, it can be rather limiting since many projects/teams don't work the exact same way as other teams. I would not be surprised that trying to maintain a single workflow across 114 projects would eventually lead to issues or the need to diverge. My advice would be to react to the changes/needs of projects as their WF requirements change.

You mentioned that one project wasn't working correctly. What exactly isn't working? Can it be addressed by simply making a copy of the current WF, editing to meet the needs and the associate to the issuetypes in that project?

p.s. you may wish to remove your email as this is a public forum but that is your call of course.

Scott Branco December 4, 2019

Thank you for the information. I have sent an email with the issues with the project. The user has issues that are closed but still show up on his activity list. 

Second question:

Is there a recommended way to make a copy of the one workflow that is in our Production system. If a project admin wants a new workflow then we have it for them. 

Third question:

What is the recommended way to create a new blank workflow for project admins. 

Suggest an answer