Work on a software development project using tasks

Jakeline October 1, 2022

The team I just joined is working on a software development project and they were organizing their work by tasks.
1) The team defines and votes the tasks (not subtasks) required to complete a user story, inserts the manual link of the task with the user story, and keeps the user story in the backlog until all tasks are completed.
2) At the end of the test, the tester is responsible for taking the User Story from the backlog and giving it to the Product Owner to do the acceptance test.

This is my first project as a scrum master, which should be working on Scrum, I see a lot of mistakes and I've been facing a lot of resistance from the team, I'm having a hard time arguing. I would like to share to know if anyone has been through this situation and what was the way out.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2022

@Jakeline welcome to the Atlassian community 

Sounds like you have a lot of work to do to improve efficiency and processes.  I have been in many situations like this and here is what I would suggest.

1. Remember people do not like change so building trust is important to succeeding. 
  2. You must also have empathy for those you work with.  Understand that they have put time and effort into the process they are currently using and are invested in it.  Use this to build on and improve.
  3. Work with management to educate.  Help them understand how the product work and how it can be used better.
  4. Make small adjustments at first building up to larger changes.
  5. Thank the team as they change and improve. 

I have had lots of teams where we made changes to make things better.  Gaining their trust and understanding where they are at is important in succeeding.  Be patient because that will help you succeed.

Suggest an answer