Will JIRA classic projects eventually be phased out?

Mindy Rosenfelder March 19, 2019

It seems like Atlassian is really pushing next gen projects. They're still missing a lot of features I need, but I'm looking at starting several new JIRA projects, and I'm wondering if I'm just shooting myself in the foot in the long run by trying to stick with classic if Atlassian eventually plan to support only next gen. 

Is there any definitive info on this around?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2019

Mindy,

i think that both will coexit

Atlassian targets each kind of project to different needs.

That’s my point of view

Mindy Rosenfelder March 19, 2019

Thanks for your opinion Gaston. I'm wondering why they insist on only allowing JIRA admins to create classic projects, but anyone can create a next gen project. Just makes it feel more like they don't "want" people making new classic projects. 

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2019

i think that the main reason is the shared components of classic projects, one user can potentially break something that is shared like status names or workflows.

it would very complex for the software to track and identify what components are shared and what modifications you can do on each one of them

the permission of project admin gave users of classic project certain habilities to manage classic project but not all

thats only my opinion

1 vote
Lior Oren August 21, 2020

I wonder if we could get a roadmap answer for the near future. 

We really need a feature that only exists in the classic version but afraid to "downgrade" fearing future depreciation. 

Suggest an answer