Why user stories are created under issues in Jira?

Madhavi Gopavajjula June 29, 2017

Hi,  I am confused why the user stories created by my product owner are shown up as Issues in Jira space?  The user stories are the requirements of my PO and we get issues as we progress with development.  Is there a separate space for isses and user stories in Jira?  Please clarify. 

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2017

Hi Madhavi,

as Alex wrote, everything is an issue in Jira, but there is a hierarchy of issues, you can use for your purpose.

When you use a SCRUM Board for your project, you have at least three issue types:

• Epics
    • Stories
      • Tasks

An Epic is a long-running issue that contains Stories, as much as you want. A story is defined as a requirement that can be implemented within one sprint. If a story is not done within the sprint, it will be moved to the next one. A Story can be divided into tasks. They are sub issues of the story and can't exist without a parent issue. A task should be quite short to implement and is not part of the backlog.

All the issue types belong to one single project. There is no such thing as a project with Epics and another one with Stories. 

Ifat Keren September 18, 2022

Thanks for this explain👍🏼

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

In JIRA, everything you create is referred to as an "issue." However, each issue can have an "issue type," which is how you define different types like "bug," "story," "issue," etc.

Issue types are completely customizable and configurable, so you should be able to create whatever is appropriate for your use of JIRA. The vocabulary is a little confusing at first, but you'll get used to it the more you use JIRA.

Suggest an answer