Why the issues 'last Update date' & time was not updated when we changed the component name in the project?

rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2013

Hi,

When we change the component name in any project the respective component using issues need to updated right.

The component name has been updated in all issues but the last update time of the issues was not updating and in issue history also not showing about the change.

Could you please let me know how to update the 'Last Updated Time' of the issues while chaging the component name in the project.

Answers would be appriciated.

Regards,
Patina

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2013

It's because you have not changed the issue. The name of a component really is just a name. The issue is aware that it has "component X" in the field, but when you rename it, it's still "component X", just with a different display name.

So, >"respective component using issues need to updated right." has the answer "no", your assumption is incorrect, because the issues are not changed. when you look at one in the issue view, Jira is reading a component link, and displaying the current display name. Changing the display name has no effect on the issue.

Because of this, there is no way to get an update to apply unless you're willing to write code that could then update all the issues (which is ugly, logically incorrect because the issues have not changed, and potentially a lot of hard work if you've got components that are used a lot in a project)

rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2013

Hi brough,

Thank you for your quick response, really appriciated.

As of your comment "the issues are not changed". this is correct.

But as of our requirement we need to update the issues "Last update date" field with the component changed date. Is it possible to update? If it is possible, could you please let me know the way to update the issues.

Thanks,

Patina

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2013

You've got four options:

Every time an admin changes a component name, get them to bulk-comment on every issue that has that component on it. This is a long way from ideal because it's possible to block comments, and your admins suddenly have a LOT of work to do.

Amend the core code in Jira, adding something that will search for and update every affected issue on a component update. This is also a long way from ideal because bodging the core of Jira is asking for long-term nightmares, and there's a potential load issue because you're suddenly updating potentially thousands of issues

Write something that plugs into Jira and can do the updates that the core hack would do. This is better than a core change obviously, but you've still got the load problem and you need to find a way to trigger it. I'd be tempted to do this as a quick update that an admin can run out-of-hours, but that does imply delays to updates

Question the requirement, because it really does sound wrong, and is making unneccessary work for you, as well as potentially making your data nonesense. Why does a change of component label update the dates on the issues? The component hasn't changed. If you are genuinely changing component and not just renaming it, why didn't the PM add a new component and then update the issues to that? (Which would work of course)

rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2013

Hi Brough,

Thank you for you valueble response.

The requirement to update the last updated date is" we have some ELT jobs in our database. i t runs for every 5 days. the ELT job is running based on the updated date and updates the changed values to some of the tables." So if we able to update the date then ELT job can easily take the chaged values. If not we will get the data inconsistency.

is it possible to write custom event for component name change. Could you please let me know.

Thanks,

Patina

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2013

That sounds like a broken ELT to me, because the issues haven't changed. The ELT should be using a unique and immutable ID, not a component name. In fact, the correct approach here if you are using the names would be to take the "add new component, delete old one" route, otherwise you've got inconsistent data by definition. One system is recording a change of name, and the other a change of underlying artefact. That's incorrect. (as an aside, be careful with TLAs, as ELT means "English Language Teacher" to me, and I'm totally guessing what you mean by it)

Anyway, my previous answer with the four options already answers your question about "custom event for component change" - you need to bodge the core of Jira to do this, which although I've mentioned it, I would avoid like the plague because it's a nightmare to maintain on upgrade.

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2013

Regarding your requirement, you can search for all issues containing the component and add a comment like "Component renamed from XX to YY" via mass editing. In this way all issues get a new update date.

rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2013

Hi Tietgens,

Thank you for your response.

If we use the mass editing then user need to do the same procedure for every time while he changed the component.
is any way ( script/plugin ) to update "last updated date" field while change the component name. Could you please let me know.

Thanking you,

patina

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2013

I think it's possible to update issues update dates via API but I don't know if there is a way to get "Component changed" like events. I would say this has to be done via a custom plugin if it's possible at all.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2013

That's why I leaned towards some form of option that lets an admin do the updates - there are no "component updated" events that could be easily caught, you'd need to hack something in to fire them, or add to the end of the rename process. (And you've got load issues, no matter how you do it)

Suggest an answer