Why sometimes customfields values are cleared when editing an issue?

Begoña Bonet September 25, 2014

In our configuration we have:

Several projects that shared: flows, customfields and behaviour definitions.

Sometimes, when users edit an issue several customfield are cleared in a random way.

When it happens:

• The customfield modified by users is not always the same.
  • The user that modifies is not always the same.
  • The issuetype which losts information is not always the same.
  • Not all the information is losts every time.
  • Not the same information is lost every time.

Somebody has any idea about which could be the reason of this behaviour? Is a connection problem? Is a presentation layer problem?......

3 answers

0 votes

Thanks, I'll follow your advices step by step. I hope to find as soon as possible!!

I'll tell you the results.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2014

I wouldn't expect that sort of error unless

• you've got a plugin that is affecting what happens on-screen
  • you've created listeners that do odd things
  • you've used javascript to try to be clever

My instinct is to do things in this order.  One at a time until you find a step that fixes the problem

1. Re-index, as Joe says
  2. Check the list of listeners for anything that might be doing it,
  3. Remove any javascript you've written.  
  4. Then remove all the behaviours stuff and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, then you know you've got something wrong in your behaviours definitions.

In step 4 do you refer to behaviours defined using Behaviour Plugin? Do you? We are using 0.5.10 version.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2014

Yes, I do mean disabling the behaviours defined by the plugin. It's a good solid plugin, but sometimes people use it to do clever things and get it wrong. Before we can say that this is any form of Jira bug, we need to rule out that as a possible cause of the problem.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2014

Cheers Nic. Note there was a problem where the value of checkbox fields could be cleared if there was a behaviour on them, but that was the only field with that problem. That's fixed in 3.0.x of Script Runner (the plugins have been merged).

Begoña Bonet September 28, 2014

We are using 0.5.10 version of this plugin. Nic, which kind of things do you refer saying "to do clerver things". Perhaps we have configured to many things with this plugin? Whe have used to configure customfields to make them hide/required/readonly acording to the transition thas is been executed and also in Edition/Creation screen. We have also used this plugin to make hide/Required/readonly customfields in Edition/Creation screen acording to the value of another customfield.....

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2014

Yes, that's what I mean by "clever things". It allows you to do some clever stuff, but at the risk of doing it wrong and breaking something. That's why I suggest turning it off and seeing if the problem still exists. I'd still look at the other options first.

Begoña Bonet September 29, 2014

We have made steps 1 and 2. Step 3 was no needed because we have no JavaScript. Now, we are going to proceed with Step 4. We want: 1.- Disable Behaviour Plugin. 2.- Verify that this wrong behaviour doesn't happens 3.- Find other plugin to manage with Interface behaviour to replace Behavior Plugin. Do you know other plugin to do that? What abour JJupin Plugin?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2014

yeah jjupin livefields I think.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2014

I would not worry about step 3 until you've proved if the Behaviour is the problem. I'd also guess that even if it is the Behaviours, it's something in the configuration you've done, not the actual plugin. I've managed to throw things into a bit of a loop when mis-configuring it, and it's well worth untangling where the actual issue is.

Begoña Bonet October 1, 2014

What kind of "things" have I look for to see where are the bad or mis-configurations? Jira will tell me any clue?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2014

That's a bit of a problem. When I broke it, the "things" were me being inconsistent in my approach, not thinking it through or even just failing to understand how it was working. If you've made mistakes, they're probably different ones to the ones I made, and I don't know what you've done with it. Hence the suggestion to simply turn it off to begin with. Then you can turn it on and try removing one configuration at a time, or the other approach - turn it on, remove all the config, then add it back one piece at a time until it breaks. (That's assuming it is the Behaviours you've configured, which we don't really know yet)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2014

This question is a bit meandering. Are you able to reproduce a problem with a simple behaviour? If so can you post it. When you disable behaviours the problem goes away? What are the versions of jira and the plugin?

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2014

Have you tried re-indexing? Sometimes that will fix odd behavior. Otherwise I suggest opening a issue with Atlassian support.

At this moment JIRA doesn't inform to me that re-indexing is needed. Do you mean that I must to reindex anyway?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2014

Yes, he does. Re-indexing fixes a broken index, and that's what Joe is suggesting has happened

Suggest an answer