Why sometimes customfields values are cleared when editing an issue?

In our configuration we have:

Several projects that shared: flows, customfields and behaviour definitions.

Sometimes, when users edit an issue several customfield are cleared in a random way.

When it happens:

  • The customfield modified by users is not always the same.
  • The user that modifies is not always the same.
  • The issuetype which losts information is not always the same.
  • Not all the information is losts every time.
  • Not the same information is lost every time.

Somebody has any idea about which could be the reason of this behaviour? Is a connection problem? Is a presentation layer problem?......



3 answers

0 votes
Joseph Pitt Community Champion Sep 25, 2014

Have you tried re-indexing? Sometimes that will fix odd behavior. Otherwise I suggest opening a issue with Atlassian support.

At this moment JIRA doesn't inform to me that re-indexing is needed. Do you mean that I must to reindex anyway?

Yes, he does. Re-indexing fixes a broken index, and that's what Joe is suggesting has happened

0 votes

I wouldn't expect that sort of error unless

  • you've got a plugin that is affecting what happens on-screen
  • you've created listeners that do odd things
  • you've used javascript to try to be clever

My instinct is to do things in this order.  One at a time until you find a step that fixes the problem

  1. Re-index, as Joe says
  2. Check the list of listeners for anything that might be doing it,
  3. Remove any javascript you've written.  
  4. Then remove all the behaviours stuff and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, then you know you've got something wrong in your behaviours definitions.

In step 4 do you refer to behaviours defined using Behaviour Plugin? Do you? We are using 0.5.10 version.

Yes, I do mean disabling the behaviours defined by the plugin. It's a good solid plugin, but sometimes people use it to do clever things and get it wrong. Before we can say that this is any form of Jira bug, we need to rule out that as a possible cause of the problem.

Cheers Nic. Note there was a problem where the value of checkbox fields could be cleared if there was a behaviour on them, but that was the only field with that problem. That's fixed in 3.0.x of Script Runner (the plugins have been merged).

We are using 0.5.10 version of this plugin. Nic, which kind of things do you refer saying "to do clerver things". Perhaps we have configured to many things with this plugin? Whe have used to configure customfields to make them hide/required/readonly acording to the transition thas is been executed and also in Edition/Creation screen. We have also used this plugin to make hide/Required/readonly customfields in Edition/Creation screen acording to the value of another customfield.....

Yes, that's what I mean by "clever things". It allows you to do some clever stuff, but at the risk of doing it wrong and breaking something. That's why I suggest turning it off and seeing if the problem still exists. I'd still look at the other options first.

We have made steps 1 and 2. Step 3 was no needed because we have no JavaScript. Now, we are going to proceed with Step 4. We want: 1.- Disable Behaviour Plugin. 2.- Verify that this wrong behaviour doesn't happens 3.- Find other plugin to manage with Interface behaviour to replace Behavior Plugin. Do you know other plugin to do that? What abour JJupin Plugin?

yeah jjupin livefields I think.

I would not worry about step 3 until you've proved if the Behaviour is the problem. I'd also guess that even if it is the Behaviours, it's something in the configuration you've done, not the actual plugin. I've managed to throw things into a bit of a loop when mis-configuring it, and it's well worth untangling where the actual issue is.

What kind of "things" have I look for to see where are the bad or mis-configurations? Jira will tell me any clue?

That's a bit of a problem. When I broke it, the "things" were me being inconsistent in my approach, not thinking it through or even just failing to understand how it was working. If you've made mistakes, they're probably different ones to the ones I made, and I don't know what you've done with it. Hence the suggestion to simply turn it off to begin with. Then you can turn it on and try removing one configuration at a time, or the other approach - turn it on, remove all the config, then add it back one piece at a time until it breaks. (That's assuming it is the Behaviours you've configured, which we don't really know yet)

This question is a bit meandering. Are you able to reproduce a problem with a simple behaviour? If so can you post it. When you disable behaviours the problem goes away? What are the versions of jira and the plugin?

Thanks, I'll follow your advices step by step. I hope to find as soon as possible!!

I'll tell you the results.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Jan 08, 2019 in Jira

How to Jira for designers

I’m a designer on the Jira team. For a long time, I’ve fielded questions from other designers about how they should be using Jira Software with their design team. I’ve also heard feedback from other ...

812 views 3 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you