Why searching for empty custom field is not returning all issues it should

Jaime C. December 2, 2014

Hello

Recently I added an optional custom text field for my project and searching for issues with it empty is not returning all issues. JIRA version 5.2.2

Lets say I am working with a base JQL that returns 688 issues.

If to that base JQL I add "and customfield is empty" I get 0 issues.

If to that base JQL I add "and customfield is not empty" I get 210 issues.

So what is going on with the remaining 478 issues?

For reference I tried referring to the custom field in all the supported ways and my index is up to date. Could not find any bug report on this.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2014

There's a third question that you can't actually ask properly:  "Show me issues where the field is not valid".  I suspect if you could answer it, you'll get 478 issues.  This is because the field is neither empty or filled, it's not physically there.  Bit like going into a clothes shop and asking for the beer rack - they don't have one, so there is no way to answer the question.

Look at the customfield list, find your custom field, and look at its "context" - I expect you'll find it is limited to a specific set of issue types and projects.  If it were global, you'd get the answers you were expecting...

0 votes

Thanks Udo.

Yes, that custom field is defined for a context based on project A and issue type B. But precisely the base JQL is searching for issues within that context.

So the base JQL is project=A and type=B

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2014

Ok. Can you tell us what type of searcher you are using for that field?

Field type is Text Field (< 255 characters) and searcher is "Free Text Searcher"

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2014

Just tried a corresponding search (for a text field with this searcher) on my side - everything is fine. And you're sure that you have done a reindex after you added this custom field?

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2014

Is this customfield in a context for a project or an issuetype? That would explain the differences. The 478 issues would have a context where the custom field is not defined for.

Suggest an answer