Why is "resolved" field not being set? (or resolutionDate, the alias name for same field) Edited

I have just joined a new team that is using Jira and I am new to Jira. We have a problem with our Service Desk project's workflow. It looks like some months ago when an issue was moved to Resolved status, the workflow successfully set the resolved/resolutionDate field, which is needed for reporting. However some months ago this field stopped updating, now it is no longer being set.

I can see from this fields reference page that "resolutionDate" is an alias for "resolved".

Is there anywhere else I can find more documentation for it? 

Where should it normally be getting set? i.e. where do I need to check?

2 answers

Hello. Try to add a Post Function in the workflow with the rule: Update Issue Field

0 votes

Someone has removed

• The Resolution field from the "close issue" screen
  • The "close issue" screen from the close transition
  • A post-function that sets the resolution (possibly by unticking the flag in a board configuration)

You'll need to have a look at the workflow and decide which one of those you want to put back.

ResolutionDate is NOT an alias for resolved.  The resolution field determines if an issue is resolved or not.  (It's open if there is nothing in the field, resolved if it's not empty).  ResolutionDate is a record of when the issue's resolution changed from <empty> to <not empty>

Thank you Nic. But I am a bit confused by your last paragraph because the fields reference page states resolutionDate IS an alias for resolved and that the field's type is "DATE". It also lists a different field "Resolution" of type "RESOLUTION". Could you be mixing up the fields or are you saying the fields reference page is wrong?

No, it doesn't.  It says resolutionDate is an alias for resolved, which is a word you use in searches, not really a field.

I was not clear in my answer that I was talking about fields.  You can use resolved and resolution date interchangeably in searches, even though it's not quite a real field and the data it searches on is the date the resolution changed.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

27,599 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you