Why is my date being imported incorrectly?

ADMIN April 24, 2018

I am trying to import issues into JIRA via a CSV file. I have a field called Date Created which is mapped to Date Created in JIRA. It has a date format yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss Which is currently set to 2018-03-16 11:00:00

When I import the file via the External System Import and confirm my date format as the above, I do not get any errors and JIRA states that the import has been successful. However, the date is showing as the 16/Jan/2018 11:00 AM.

So instead of importing March, it is importing January.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2018

Hi @ADMIN, you're right; those date formats are tricky! 

I recommend using the format that's set on your applications "Advanced Settings" page.  You can check yours by visiting:  Admin > System > General configuration > Advanced Settings (button on top right).

By default, those formats are:

• d/MMM/yy
  • dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

Hopefully you can do a quick format change in Excel and then change back to .csv for the import.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Christine Nguyen May 11, 2023

@Rachel Wright  if I use the default d/MMM/yy, what the actual date will look like after loading into jira? 

Us there any details instruction that can help me format it on the csv file?

Thanks in advance 

Suggest an answer