Why is it that JIRA Portfolio start date cannot go back in time past a certain date?

Craig Day August 20, 2015

For some reason all of my start dates can't go back before July 13th. Even if a release start date is June 3rd, for example, the Portfolio is still locking the start date at July 13th... 

Any ideas? Some sort of limitation as to when I set up JIRA? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2015

Hey Nick, This sounds like a plan update date is set. Have you done Plan > Update from date at some point and used July 13th as the update date? In this case, the plan is always scheduled from this day forward (the idea being that you originally started out from an earlier date, lets say June 1st. Then some work gets done, you do a plan update to updated resolved issues and remaining estimates, and whatever work is remaining, is planned forward looking from the update date, e.g. July 13). 

You'll see if this is the case if the timeline at the bottom does not start with a "Start" label , but with ... on the timeline, and the first label says "Update". 

If that was not intentional, the best way to "reset" is to do a Plan > Update from date and choose a date back in the past - Portfolio always takes the latest date between this update date and the date of the first release to start scheduling from. 

Craig Day August 21, 2015

Thanks! That did the trick and now I understand what the Update from Date is doing.

Suggest an answer